Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bright and big lights out over the ocean right now
One waving around just NE of Kaloli Pt and one big stationary one coming from the bay. Is there some sort of operation going on?

ETA:
They're gone now.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I have a decent view off NE Kaloli Pt. and saw nothing unusual. Depending on weather conditions and time of day, aircraft sometimes land at Hilo from the east rather than from the west. As they turn, their landing lights can look quite strange; they're very bright and it looks as though the light isn't moving for a minute or two before they start their final turn to the runway. Perhaps that's what you saw?
Slow-motion perseids? Wink
Tom, it wasn't a plane. I can watch planes from where I sit in the living room. These lights looked like the moon behind some clouds, the lights were pretty big, and muted as if they were coming from a good distance. Cruise ships are too far out for their lights to shine like that.
Maybe it's going to remain a mystery.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Thanks for the update. No idea I'm afraid. No cruise ships today either as far I can tell.
FWIW, my brother is in Air Traffic Control (30+ years in HNL/LAX/ORD), and there are military exercises going on. Combined with the storm(s), there are several aircraft out 24 hours a day. Helicopters are held to a different standard, however, must adhere to basic "safety" requirements.

There was a search and rescue earlier today, but not during the timeframe of the OP.

JMO.