Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moving to Pahoa
I'm moving to Pahoa in late May for work, are there beaches nearby that have some sort of surf??

Robin

Edited by - robinhugh on 05/05/2006 09:41:26
Robin
Hi Robin,
"smaller, funky living space"
No shortage of those out here. Matter of fact they are everywhere.
Good luck on the search.
Tony

"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw
Surfing at Puna’s Isaac Hale beach park is one such place.

quote:
I'm moving to Pahoa in late May for work, are there beaches nearby that have some sort of surf??

Robin

Edited by - robinhugh on 05/05/2006 09:41:26

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
As mentioned above, Isaac Hale beach park has "some sort of surf". Yeah, like the sort that'll land you in the hospital!! Nah, just kidding, but the wave DO break right at the cliffs. Spend some time studying the conditions before you jump in and talk to the locals there (there'll be plenty on any given day). Also, give them room; it's a small park.
Be safe, Chuck

When Pele reclaimed the Kalapana area in the early 90's she also took away many good surf breaks (about a dozen from what I'm told). Now Pohiki (Isac Hale beach park) is the only good one left in lower Puna. There are others on the east side such as Honolii (just north of Hilo), Bayfront in Hilo (when there's a little weather kickin), and there are also some breaks at and around Richardsons beach park in Hilo. Stan Lawrence of Orchidland Surf shop in Hilo has been working on a plan of creating an artificial reef at 4 mile park in Hilo. He has all of the research and assesments done, now he just needs some involvement from the public to try and push the project forward. Artificial reefs have been quite successful in other places around the globe, and besides providing a new surf break, they also provide a new habitat for marine life. If you travel further north or south from Hilo there are other breaks as well, although I haven't personally surfed any of those yet. The east side, being the windward side, gets more and bigger surf than other parts of the island. However they are not sand breaks, it's all rock and reef breaks, so it can be dangerous for an inexperienced surfer. If you want more specific info, feel free to email me.
Aloha,
Mark

What about windsurfing.

Robin
Robin
Hilo Bay

quote:
What about windsurfing.

Robin

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
All our kids surfed at Hakalau and occassionally Kolekole when we lived Hamakua side. I think Hakalau is now gated though. I heard you can walk in but must leave your car at the gate - something I wouldnt recommend.

-Cat