Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tires now accepted at transfer stations
The County is now accepting tires at all 22 of the transfer stations.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...ing-effort
I wonder if this is how it was so easy to get Lex Brodies to waive the tire disposal fee a few days ago?
It would be interesting to hear the background story on this happening so suddenly. It is mainly being driven by trying to reduce mosquito egg laying standing water. Old tires were the one glaring item that didn't fit into the social media fantasy held by the county council as Zero Waste Recycling. The reason is because the word "recycling" on Hawaii island is either it is an export scrap item, or somebody on some mainland is being paid to take it, or buried in the landfill. There is no market for old tires, they are only a liability, that is why we had to pay to get rid of them. It's good the individual citizen doesn't have to pay now but it seems the cost of the county getting them off island will be tax subsidized.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"It would be interesting to hear the background story on this happening so suddenly. It is mainly being driven by trying to reduce mosquito egg laying standing water."

It would indeed be interesting to understand the background to this decision and a fair question to ask, but after asking the question you have already provided an answer to it, so why bother asking in the first place? The strange mind of PT.
Doubtful that the technology exists on the Big Island, but grinding the tires up and mixing them with asphalt for the roads would be one way to dispose of them.

http://www3.epa.gov/epawaste/conserve/ma...ground.htm

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Used tires power cement kilns and burn cleaner than coal. The rest are shredded and used dozens of applications. Some are shipped overseas to countries where re-treading is still legal. Our problem, of course, is none of that can be done here, so somebody has to pay to ship them to the mainland.
It would be interesting to hear the background story on this happening so suddenly.
------

It is right there, in the article...

------------
"Since the announcement of the outbreak in late October, health officials have specifically named old tires as one of the leading culprits behind the spread of the mosquito-borne disease. When left outdoors, they collect rainwater and provide perfect places for the little bloodsuckers to breed.

When Hookena and Honaunau were first identified as likely areas where the disease has been transmitted between humans and mosquitoes, the county began accepting tires free of charge at the three nearby transfer stations."

-------

Seems like common sense took over at the County.
Seems like common sense took over at the County.

Let's hope it goes... viral.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Went to Makuu market and what did I see?

A line of tires to mark the edge of the road.

Intact tires. Full of water and mosquito larvae.

I guess they don't read the paper.
It's not like I needed another reason to avoid the Makuu market, but thanks for posting some information that can potentially improve my safety.