Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another solar thread (batteries? leased?)
(11-10-2023, 07:48 AM)SSGSurf Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 05:13 AM)terracore Wrote: Two questions in one post:

1) Looking for local recommendations (including Kona side) for AGM batteries suitable for a small DIY solar setup.  I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

2) Entertaining something like Sunrun but want to hear experiences from people who have done something similar.  Doesn't have to be through that company specifically, I've never spoken to any of their salespeople.  I'm not interested in ANY option where if the grid goes down, so does 100% of the power, but also I don't expect the output from all the panels.  I know there are options for 2000 watts or whatever to be available when the sun is out during a grid outage with some setups.

Small setup as in?
What do you intend to power?    
How much power do you need? 
What type of budget are you working with?

I'm powering manual defrost freezers and a few other things that don't run at night.  Therefore, I don't need significant "storage" I just need to keep the inverter running when the sun is out.  I have a reverse UPS that automatically switches everything to grid if the clouds get so dark that the batteries start depleting (to keep them from cycling too much and decrease their lifespan).  I believe my current setup is two 150AH flooded batteries.  It's worked well but the batteries are now over 7 years old and they don't get me past the occasional cloud cover like they used to, and I've probably shortened their life from neglect.
(11-10-2023, 07:22 PM)terracore Wrote:

1) Looking for local recommendations (including Kona side) for AGM batteries suitable for a small DIY solar setup.  I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

2) Entertaining something like Sunrun but want to hear experiences from people who have done something similar.  Doesn't have to be through that company specifically, I've never spoken to any of their salespeople.  I'm not interested in ANY option where if the grid goes down, so does 100% of the power, but also I don't expect the output from all the panels.  I know there are options for 2000 watts or whatever to be available when the sun is out during a grid outage with some setups.

Small setup as in?

I'm powering manual defrost freezers and a few other things that don't run at night.  Therefore, I don't need significant "storage" I just need to keep the inverter running when the sun is out.  I have a reverse UPS that automatically switches everything to grid if the clouds get so dark that the batteries start depleting (to keep them from cycling too much and decrease their lifespan).  I believe my current setup is two 150AH flooded batteries.  It's worked well but the batteries are now over 7 years old and they don't get me past the occasional cloud cover like they used to, and I've probably shortened their life from neglect.

What inverter are you running?
(11-11-2023, 04:57 AM)SSGSurf Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 07:22 PM)terracore Wrote:

Small setup as in?

What inverter are you running?

3000 watt Renogy
(11-09-2023, 05:41 AM)knieft Wrote: Terracore: I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

===

I hear you. Shipping may be a nightmare, but lithium is more affordable than ever…

https://bigbattery.com/

Bought a couple 48 Condors, for about 9k shipped to door. I suspect they will outlast us. There are plenty of smaller options…

Cheers,
Kirt

Looks like they make great batteries.  Too bad there is no easy way to get one here.