Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Airlines fares "too good to pass up"
Hawaiian Airlines has come out with a new program called "airfares too good to pass up". Basically you find the fare you like, get your seats, and then save it for up to 7 days before paying for it. The cost is $8.99 but reservation has to be booked at least 21 days in advance for trips to the mainland....14 days for inter-island.

The problem I'm having with that program is there are no airfares "too good to pass up" out of Hilo. Out of Oahu and Maui...yes. But nothing from the Big Island. I wonder if that's because Hawaiian doesn't fly nonstop to the mainland from the Big Island like they do in Maui and Oahu? In any event...Alaska airlines out of Kona seems to match Hawaiians great airfares to the mainland without having to go through Honolulu. I think it's worth the drive to Kona...especially if flying with someone!

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2225?hamp=Facebook_Fare-Hold_20160127&hootPostID=09fc670a8dc7f7e71afca172e98fde9e
Mahalo!
there are no airfares "too good to pass up" out of Hilo

This has always been the case; you have to fly to Oahu or Maui first, otherwise the Big Island will have strip malls and gang turf wars -- gotta keep that country "country" you know.
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/stat...arent-rise

"We are not seeing demand weakness of any kind,"
Just did a little fare checking.My wife is flying to Los Angeles next moth to visit family.I bought a round trip on United for $438.00.
Using the same dates I came up with the following fares.
Hawaiian from Hilo $446.00 plus the $8.99 if you hold it first.
Alaska from Kona $694.00 (To be fair the non stop is on American.)
Delta from Kona $438.00
Seems like a a lot of airlines are making money and have strong demand with fuel prices so low.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/alaska-...2016-01-21

Alaska Airlines doesn't fly to Los Angeles....but if you flew to San Diego next month from Kona you could find the round trip as low as $318.00
Island Air's controlling interest has been bought out, they immediately restored service to Lihue and the sky is the limit on their service offerings to neighbor islands. The monopoly may in the process of breaking and Hawaiian's desperation to keep it is beginning to show:

Having served Kaua‘i since 2004, Hawai‘i’s second airline suspended its L#299;hue service in June 2015 as part of a comprehensive effort to restructure its operations.

To further support its successful turnaround and plans for expansion, the airline recently announced that it was selling a controlling interest in the company to two Hawai‘i investor groups managed by PacifiCap, a local investment firm, and its founder, Jeffrey Au.

Pending US Department of Transportation review and approval of the sale, the airline is being overseen by a transition team comprised of PacifiCap’s Au, current Island Air CEO Dave Pflieger and former Island Air executive and Kaua‘i native Les Murashige.

“Recognizing that for many local people interisland travel is a necessity and not a luxury, this is an important first step in our mission to benefit our local community in Hawaii by providing more seat availability and more options for interisland travel,” said Au.

“Island Air’s return to Kaua‘i with service between L#299;hue and Honolulu is great news!”said Kaua‘i Mayor Bernard P. Carvalho, Jr. “This will create local jobs and contribute to our local economy as well as provide another interisland travel option for our residents and visitors.”

http://mauinow.com/2016/01/21/island-air...hue-kauai/
quote:
[i]

Alaska Airlines doesn't fly to Los Angeles....but if you flew to San Diego next month from Kona you could find the round trip as low as $318.00

She is flying from here to Los Angeles.$438.00 is a screaming deal but it is on United and their service on that flight sucks !