Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nanawale Blvd. Fatality - Single Car Crash
FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...car-crash/

One person is dead following a single car crash on Nanawale Boulevard just outside of Pahoa on Saturday night.

Fire crews responded to the report of a crash at 9:21 p.m., and on arrival found a mid-sized car involved in single vehicle accident. The vehicle, which had extensive left rear and top damage, struck trees and snapped a utility pole before coming to rest in bushes 5 feet below the grade of the road.

The car came to rest at a vacant lot fronting 14-3469 Nanawale Boulevard, according to a fire dispatch.

The responders say they found one male passenger lying on ground next to vehicle. He told them the driver fled the scene prior to their arrival. He also told them that he and driver were only occupants involved, fire crews say.

Hawaii Police were given information from a witness that “there may have been other parties in the vehicle.”

A search of area using thermal imaging equipment revealed a female in very thick brush, 10 feet from where the vehicle came to rest. She was already dead, fire crews say. The area was searched for additional occupants with negative findings.

ETA: KHON News Report - (Incl. pictures)

http://khon2.com/2016/04/10/one-injured-...hoa-crash/

Horrible accident, and very odd report(s). Saw this on the news this morning (KITV), and wasn't sure I heard right...SO sad.

JMO.
No matter the cause, someone's daughter, sister, mother, etc. is not coming home and my thoughts are with the loved ones in their time of anguish.
Initial reports, especially from injured victims, tend to be confused. Hopefully things will get sorted out, but meanwhile, I join Kapoho Joe in expressing sympathy for the family of the deceased.
Agreed, KJ and Chunkster. I also feel terribly for this young woman and her ohana.

SMH at the driver leaving the scene, and the other injured party to claim no one else was in the car. We will never know if she could have been saved.

JMO.
I find I end up going to town every other day on average. In several months, it has been rare to not see an ambulance heading to Puna or coming out of Puna. I was heading into town when these ambulances and fire trucks were coming out of Hilo. The first ambulance, I thought, oh well, another ambulance heading into Puna. Then the fire truck, then the fire chief, then another ambulance and then another ambulance, all heading to south Puna, going through the roundabout work, and it was suddenly clear that roundabout is going to be a complete choke point when it is backed up. They ought to have a contingency to open up Railroad for emergency vehicles. I was pulling over for every emergency vehicle, there were people in the other lane that didn't even know there was one behind. I don't know why there are so many ambulances going into and out of Puna almost every day, multiple times in a day. There are a lot of old people so that is one reason, then there is violence and accidents. Just crazy to see an ambulance every time I go into or come back from town.

Just noticed that fatality was from last night. Then what the heck were they responding to today around noon?

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

I find I end up going to town every other day on average. In several months, it has been rare to not see an ambulance heading to Puna or coming out of Puna. I was heading into town when these ambulances and fire trucks were coming out of Hilo. The first ambulance, I thought, oh well, another ambulance heading into Puna. Then the fire truck, then the fire chief, then another ambulance and then another ambulance, all heading to south Puna, going through the roundabout work, and it was suddenly clear that roundabout is going to be a complete choke point when it is backed up. They ought to have a contingency to open up Railroad for emergency vehicles. I was pulling over for every emergency vehicle, there were people in the other lane that didn't even know there was one behind. I don't know why there are so many ambulances going into and out of Puna almost every day, multiple times in a day. There are a lot of old people so that is one reason, then there is violence and accidents. Just crazy to see an ambulance every time I go into or come back from town.

Just noticed that fatality was from last night. Then what the heck were they responding to today around noon?

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

If the Puna stationed ambulances are already out on calls they have to send an ambulance from Hilo, which some times of the day means heavy traffic both ways. We have a lot of older people with heart issues, and younger drivers with judgement issues, and a growing population, so I anticipate more ambulance runs all the time. A basic ER for Puna would reduce the amount of time our ambulances are driving to Hilo and back, the medics can triage where to take their patients.
I just heard that the girl who died has two babies at her mother's house in HPP and the driver was the father and he fled the scene with her dead in the bushes. He's hiding out somewhere, probably was drunk.
the driver they are looking for is a male party for questioning in this case identified as a Gary A. Simpkins, 22-years-old of Pahoa. He is described as a Black male, 5'6" tall, 180 pounds, black hair and brown eyes.

most likely this black dude in this Just Scrap Kona video on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCf1DnqC-w

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
In case some are unaware, the alleged driver has been arrested and is in custody.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5623809/?sub_id=344108