Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Meeting Re: Road Connectivity-Puna 11/15
FYI: (From Danny Paleka: BBM) Be maka'ala, and attend if possible.

Public Meeting Regarding Draft Environmental Assessment (DEA) for the Proposed Connectivity Improvements of Puna Subdivisions with Volcano Highway will be held on Tuesday, November 15th at the Mt View Elem School Cafeteria from 5:30pm-7:30pm.

This meeting will be used to :

• Discuss the proposed improvements that would assist in response to floods, fires, automobile accidents, or other emergencies that would block critical roads. It would also provide residents of Fern Acres and nearby subdivisions with permanent access alternatives to the South K#363;lani Road outlet.
• Discuss the three proposed component sub-projects that are under study:
1. The improvement and extension from Volcano Highway to P#363;hala Road of South Lauko Road.
2. The improvement and extension from Volcano Highway to P#363;hala Road of South Pszyk Road.
3. The extension of P#363;hala Road south to South Kopua Road.
Depending on funding availability and other factors, the County may choose to construct one, two, all three, or none of the component projects under study.
• Allow individuals to present comments, ask questions, and discuss concerns regarding the Draft Environmental Assessment (DEA).
The DEA provides the County of Hawai‘i with the information necessary to determine whether impacts associated with the proposed projects have the potential to contribute to cumulative impacts to the environment. Based on this determination, the County of Hawai‘i will either issue a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) or the agency will require the preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to further analyze the proposed projects and associated impacts.

The Draft EA is posted for review on OEQC’s website:
http://oeqc.doh.hawaii.gov/…/2016-10-23-...-Puna-Subd
or can be viewed at the Mountain View Public and School Library
Public comments must be received in writing or via email by November 22, 2016. Public comments will be included in the Final EA and submitted to the County of Hawai‘i for review and consideration.
If you require special accommodations or auxiliary aid/ and or services to participate in this meeting, (i.e. Sign language interpreter, large print,) please call (808) 961-8321 by November 10, 2016.
It's an interesting proposal, but I don't think it will help Eden Roc for the times that flooding cuts off road access to the highway. Going from what I've been told, during flooding periods (usually fairly short) Kahikopele gets flooded between Palainui and S. Kopua and the solution is to open up the barriers between Eden Roc and Fern Forest (Punahele and Kaleponi). I don't entirely understand why barriers were put up there in the first place. I suppose it could help to bypass Mountain View if you are going in to Hilo, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
don't think it will help Eden Roc for the times that flooding cuts off road access

For those not in Eden Roc or Fern Forest, it won't help at all.

don't entirely understand why barriers were put up there in the first place

The subdivisions are "private" and may do as they see fit, which includes "not letting freeloaders use our roads (that we paid for)". This effectively furthers County policy ("you all keep arguing amongst yourselves") rather than true public policy ("for the people").

It's nice to see the "lack of egress" recognized at the Council level, but I somehow doubt there will be funding available for these projects.