Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane season 2017
They did blame the hurricane for setting a lot of the chickens free but I think it's the lack of mongoose that allows the chickens to thrive.
I've asked various people and gotten various answers. Some swear the chickens were already overrunning the place before the hurricane.

Not so sure about the mongoose story, plenty of chickens around here too.
On the day that someone first brought chickens to Kauai or anywhere else for that matter, some would have gotten free and there were feral chickens. Same for cats. There has never been any need for a storm or other discrete event to explain free roaming animals. Literally within hours of any animal being brought anywhere, some would have escaped. The only question is how well they survive on their own.
If you can bait a trap with a golf ball to catch mongooses, that goes a long way to explain why Kauai, with no mongooses, has noticeably more chickens than other places that do have mongooses. I think they have more Nene geese too.
Thanks, everyone. My post was actually half jest and half serious. Thank you for the serious replies! Iniki happened before I arrived here so was curious why that island appeared to have such a large chicken population compared to elsewhere here.
Maybe we could hire their chickens to work for Hawaii county.. We might get something accomplished, as long as they don't unionize.
Aren't you concerned about the pecking order?
Maybe I should rethink that. They are already unionized. Good one Tom.