Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myths and Legends and customs
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

I'd be more appalled because there's a good chance you're going to pick up little fire ants or some aggressive weed from wherever you're collecting from, and bring it back to your house where it will take over your yard.

I'm very selective on plant types, only ones that i know i want and only ones that are right next to the road(likely to be mowed/poisoned/removed)and i already have lfa..

Cant wait to live in Puna!
Cant wait to live in Puna!
Vic, most of the truly roadside plants are probably not from Hawaii, as vehicles today are a great spreader of non-native plants....
If you only want to collect "appropriate"(native, canoe, non-invasive, wat`eva) plants, the first thing to do is to really get familiar with native plants, canoe plants, and most importantly, invasive non-natives....

As far as transplanting plants from one area of a district (or even an ahupua`a) to another, that IS how plants, both native and canoe, were propagated around the islands. But of course, to correctly do it would be first with an appropriate `olelo.
Certified export Nurseries ship tons of potted plants off island weekly. The medium must be dirt free to pass Federal Ag regulations.
(Dirt free = black cinder)