Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcanoes National Park Open Again
HVO is maintaining "essential" staff but telling everyone else to stay home and not to access Federal computers, etc. I suspect that the same goes for PTWC.
I checked the webcam, they've turned off the glow in the crater as of last night.
After the visitor center closes every evening - the park staff turn off the glow from the volcano .This has been going on now for over 10 years. They flip the switch back on at 4:30am .
Inside joke from senior park staff - often told to tourists .
Mrs.Mimosa
The shutdown alert has been removed from Volcanoes National Park webpage, so it appears Halemaumau Crater is back to normal operating hours, at least until the next potential shutdown in early February.

Park officials did have a little trouble with Halemaumau Crater's power circuit during the closure, as can be seen in this video of an explosion in the crater several days ago:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/0...ea-summit/

Natural geologic event? Or political commentary? Only Pele may know the answer to those questions for sure.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves