Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcanoes National Park Open Again
Due to a combination of The Art Of The Deal with shrewd negotiating tactics, Volcanoes National Park is now closed because of the government shutdown. From their website:

January 20, 2018 - Due to the lapse in federal appropriations and the ongoing eruption of Kilauea Volcano both at the summit and from the Pu‘u ‘O‘O vent, portions of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park are closed for visitor safety.

The open areas include Highway 11 through the park and Mauna Loa Road to Kipukapuaulu (Kipukapuaulu Trail, the day use area and tree molds are open). Kau Desert Trail is open to the Footprints exhibit shelter. However, access may change without notice, and there are no NPS-provided services. Backcountry permits will not be issued and overnight camping will not be permitted.

The hazardous geologic processes and the immediate threats to visitor health and safety necessitate the restriction of access to areas that are volcanically active. These closed areas include the entire summit area of Kilauea, Crater Rim Drive, Chain of Craters Road and the active lava flow within the park boundary.

Guests at Volcano House and Kilauea Military Camp have 48 hours to depart the park (Monday morning). Volcano Art Center Gallery is also closed.

Again, we reiterate that hazards associated with the active volcano pose a significant risk to the safety of visitors in the absence of National Park Service staff.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
So... still open for free after 8pm as usual? Or are they blocking the road?

If only Hawaii county government would shut down...
As in previous furloughs, the main entrance is not open to the general public (this includes off hours) Only those staying within the park will be admitted.
Just like last time. The word is that the national park system is not affected by these shut-downs as they are are under a different funding system.
The last time this happened the director of DOI director was called on the carpet for closing them. Or so it seems.

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.

No, this isn't like last time. The administration is trying to avoid the blow back from closed parks as much as posslbe.

In the one major departure from the last shutdown, the Interior Department says it will work to keep national parks and other public lands "as accessible as possible." During the last shutdown, the National Park Service's closing of parks and the national monuments in Washington, D.C., was controversial and led to an angry group of visiting seniors to push aside barriers at the National World War II Memorial.

In an email, Interior Department spokesman Heather Swift said:

"The American public and especially our veterans who come to our nation's capital should find war memorials and open-air parks open to the public. Additionally, many of our National Parks, refuges and other public lands will still try to allow limited access wherever possible. For example, this means that roads that have already been open should remain open (think snow removal) and vaulted toilets (wilderness type restrooms) should remain open, however services that require staffing and maintenance such as campgrounds, full-service restrooms, and concessions that require some Park staff or assistance will not be operating.

"Other areas such as culturally sensitive areas or backcountry areas that present a risk to visitors may also have restricted access."
We were at KMC this afternoon and KMC is open.We took the grand kiddos bowling .We get our fuel there when ever in Volcano town as far less taxes on fuel .
Mrs.Mimosa
Yep, you're correct sir. Sorry 'bout that.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

No, this isn't like last time. The administration is trying to avoid the blow back from closed parks as much as posslbe.

In the one major departure from the last shutdown, the Interior Department says it will work to keep national parks and other public lands "as accessible as possible." During the last shutdown, the National Park Service's closing of parks and the national monuments in Washington, D.C., was controversial and led to an angry group of visiting seniors to push aside barriers at the National World War II Memorial.

In an email, Interior Department spokesman Heather Swift said:

"The American public and especially our veterans who come to our nation's capital should find war memorials and open-air parks open to the public. Additionally, many of our National Parks, refuges and other public lands will still try to allow limited access wherever possible. For example, this means that roads that have already been open should remain open (think snow removal) and vaulted toilets (wilderness type restrooms) should remain open, however services that require staffing and maintenance such as campgrounds, full-service restrooms, and concessions that require some Park staff or assistance will not be operating.

"Other areas such as culturally sensitive areas or backcountry areas that present a risk to visitors may also have restricted access."

That fact that keeping highway 11 open is in question should be a cause for concern
And is HVO still functioning. What about PTWC
It's my impression (i.e., not saying it's true), that national parks which include important highways are keeping those areas open, for example, H-11. It's the area within national parks that require staff for visitor safety reasons that are being closed, hence the partial closure of the Volcano National Park.

As for the PTWC, I suspect it will stay open as it did during the last shutdown:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/0...-shutdown/

At least I hope that's the case.
That fact that keeping highway 11 open is in question should be a cause for concern
---------------
The National Park should not have any control over Hwy 11 as it is a state route. Further, the ridiculous speed limit of 45mph thru that long stretch is no more than a way for the park to generate speeding tickets.