Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Have An Auto Body Shop Recommendation?
I have a few small areas of rust around my windshield that recently started to leak. Does anyone have a body shop you can recommend? Do you know how long it takes them to sand, apply filler, primer, and paint? 1 day? Several days to allow drying between steps?

PLEASE NOTE: the windshield is fine, I need a repair shop that's capable of more than a simple windshield replacement.

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I don't know if he does that specific sort of work, but Wally's on 33rd in HPP (966-9275) is excellent. He is meticulous and honest, and he will tell you who is good to go to if he isn't able to help you. I can't recommend him highly enough.
"Do you know how long it takes them to sand, apply filler, primer, and paint?"

That's probably not the best way to repair rust long term.

What year is the vehicle and what make ?

I have been restoring cars and trucks for the last 50 years and could probably help you with a quick easy fix.
What year is the vehicle and what make ?

It's a 2004 Honda Odyssey. There are two grooves in the roof back to front, with a piece of plastic glued into them. It appears the plastic has loosened enough allowing water to pool under them, then rusting out at the point it meets the windshield.

I called Wally, but after explaining the problem he said he didn't do that kind of repair work anymore.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It's the body seam under the plastic strip that is the problem.

I found a YouTube video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81N72sDjnic

I don't agree with his repair method. You could use any number of epoxy repairs on top of the leaking seam.
Thanks for the video link Obie.

The seam is definitely the original problem. I'm sure I can fix that following the instructions on the video. I'm still worried about the rust where the seam meets the windshield though. The van only has 92,000 miles on it, and the windshield is the only location with rust, so I think it's worth making a more permanent repair to keep it from spreading.

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
I've had fantastic results from the Rust Reformer product sold at Home Depot (paint department, spray paint section, right bay, top shelf).

To answer your original question, I've used Body Pros in Hilo a couple of times and they always exceeded my expectations. They're at 17 Halekauila St. Can't tell you how long your repair will take, but I had to have major work done, and it only took a couple of days once they had all the necessary parts (which had to be ordered from off island). But I remember it taking much less in-shop time then I expected.
Sorry I don't have a recommendation on body shops but I can tell you the windshield would need to be removed to repair the rust correctly. The main area of rust is going to be under the glass. Here is a video that shows the R&R and you can see an area of rust and the tech applies primer to the channel to prevent more rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnXYyxYTpxw

It's about 20 mins.
maybe you need a window glass shop?

It would be serendipity if you happened to have a chip in the glass

good luck