Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County services offline
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...ugh-today/

"Due to financial considerations, the county does not carry inventory of the spare parts necessary for quickly swapping out switches," the county said in a press release. "The cause of the failure is not known at this time."

I seem to recall that County's network includes MPLS equipment donated from Maui. (Of course I can't look this up until the network is fixed...)

By some amazing coincidence, this happened right as Mayor Kim announced his new $515M budget -- which (in another coincidence) has grown by the same $25M expected from the GET increase -- and that $25M is just to pay for raises/benefits, the budget actually cuts services.

"Charging more and delivering less", - Hawaii County 2018
... the (increased) budget actually cuts services.
- Hawaii County, 2018

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”
#8213; George Orwell, 1984

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
$50M of that $515M is just paying interest on debt, what a waste.
A huge chunk of that bond debt is from Billy Kenoi's park building binge. One of my friends who is a sharp observer of local politics said that the park building contractors must have paid better campaign and legal defense contributions than the road builders were willing to fork out. Otherwise, we might have some new and/or well repaired roads.

This still doesn't excuse Harry Kim for the current budget mess. A hiring freeze would reduce the payroll through attrition without laying anyone off, and the Great Recession furlough episode proved that things didn't fall apart with fewer hours worked. As much as I question Kenoi's honesty, he did put a hiring freeze into effect during that period.
http://records.hawaiicounty.gov/Weblink/...Page1.aspx

$48K worth of "free" equipment apparently didn't help.

(...and MPLS kind of sucks.)
Better to fire the bottom 10% every year before raises. Bad employees and bad attitudes can drag down a whole team. Demonstrate that productivity affects their bottom line. Maybe Jack Welch is available for consulting?

The county should buy cable and DSL like the rest of us. Private networks are expensive to maintain and an illusion of security. It's 2018 and everything is over HTTP/SSL anyway.