Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!!!
My family and I are planning to move to the Big Island at a place called riverside apartments to start. The computer tells me it is in the outskirts of Hilo, but a forum for Hilo told me you guys\girls in puna forum could help me out with my questions. First is riverside apartments in Hilo or puna or none of the above. second, does anyone have any good pictures of riverside apartments or Hilo or Puna.
Finally, I have a 4yr. old little girl and a 1yr. old boy and hear that some people are really aggresivly racist to whites. Will my children have any serious problems living there. Thank You for your help. I appreciate the information and or photos.
The Riverside is in Hilo, on the Puueo (West- Hamakua) side of the Wailuku River. During the floods on Feb. 3, it made it on the news at this link (starting at 1:24):
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/3797/43/
We have been to the units (not lived in, just delivering "Christmas Wish" presents). They are a fairly large (by Hilo standards) apt. building, some of the units are river side (unless we have a once in a lifetime flood, nice river views) The outsides are concrete block (hollow tile) with interior 'plaza' halls (open to the outside air, but covered & with a hallway. I think every unit has a lani...
Hmm. What will you be paying for rent? Under 1000/900. I hope.

Riverside is this 4 story +- concrete block building (not child living friendly).I think it is govt. subsidized (aka projects).Its in whats known as a bad neighborhood with a lot of other subsidized apt. buildings.
Its also right by the riverside homeless camp and some halfway type houses.
But what we call bad neighborhoods is not really bad by mainland standards. So don't freak, but you will probably be disappointed.

It should be O.K. just to get your footings,But not close to a Hawaiian Paradise.

Your children will be fine as they are small and people here just don't seem to have racial issues with children.

Have you checked out the local realtor's for rentals? Don't know what you'll be paying but I would think you could do better even if you have sec.8. Rents are higher in Hilo, thats why everyone moves to Puna more house for the money but you have the lack of infrastructure headache.
Better to stay Hilo if you can afford it.
Thank You Carey and Punamom for all of your help and information. We will be sure to look into the website and let you know how it goes!