Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii has 6th worst economy in the Nation
Marcia, the last time I checked it was something like 33 cents per kWh. Someone correct me if that's out of date, please. As far as what your biggest load factor might be, that would depend on you lifestyle and household equipment. Hot water is frequently mentioned as a biggie, but there are several arrangements available to reduce that such as solar, timers, and on-demand systems. I understand it is cheaper to cook with propane, but most homes seem to have electric cookers. We bake a LOT, so our bill is higher than average.

We seem to be going off topic here. Sorry. The electric rate situation is just one of many economic disadvantages in Hawaii.

Cheers,
Jerry
I appreciate the info and do apologize for veering off topic. I'm a little bit new at posting but will get the hang of it. Back we go...[Smile]
talk about a monopoly, just look at the propane costs, we're really getting ripped off in that department
JayJay asked:

"How is it that since the cost of gasoline is only circa ten cents per gallon higher here on the Big Island than most of the mainland, the cost of electricity is three times the mean cost on the mainland when most of our electricity is produced from bunker fuel, a petrochemical, which takes 'less' refining than gasoline?"

Most electricity in North America is not produced with oil, like in Hawaii and especially Honolulu.
Coal, hydro, and nuclear are more prominent in NA...
maybe also natural gas and/or propane?

This is not to say that monopoly powers do not exist in the Hawaii market for petroleum and it's refined products -- State Attorney General has raised questions, without ever having substantial effect.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
As of Jan 13,2008 my bill reflected .35 a KWH
Having everything to do with island energy costs: How much is the UH or State govt backing your (Dr Weatherford's) Hui to grow Oil Palm? Is this going to be on state Land? With state funding?

Your plant is seen as a high labor project,Nearly slave labor has been claimed! What is your labor claim? How much has been paid to the UH for the use of their facilities, their personel? What land are you using? (State?) How much land , where?

Please let us in on your plans, I certainly wouldn't want to unjustly suggest somthing odd. But anything UH involved should be public record!
Gordon J Tilley
gtill had some questions that I never got around to addressing:

quote:
Originally posted by gtill

...UH or State govt backing ...Dr Weatherford's...Hui to grow Oil Palm...on state Land?...state funding?
... labor... where?

Our own/leased land (in coastal/lower Puna).
Our own $ -- we are paying market rate price for UHH to grow our portion of the seeds to out-plant size.
Labor: the 'slave' labor is in Indonesia -- that issue is about the place, not about the crop. We are mechanizing harvest, which is where the labor is in Indonesia and also the source of their lower quality product.

Don't worry about anything 'odd' -- this is just about UHH Ag being a leader and us, as community investors, being cooperators.

Anything else you are wondering about?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I appreciate the reply, I was here for Kohala Task Force, and see parallels! Have any grants or state loans been given for the project, and how much hands on experience does your group have? If no grants, loans etc, from state, please ignore, I'll applaude your effots!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

I appreciate the reply, I was here for Kohala Task Force, and see parallels! Have any grants or state loans been given for the project, and how much hands on experience does your group have? If no grants, loans etc, from state, please ignore, I'll applaude your effots!

EARS

Did I hear GRANTS? j/k!

*cough*

With all due respect to those that worked hard on this project if it has anything to do w/ Dr. Weatherfords efforts.

100K to Biodiesel in Hawaii

Crop materials to be evaluated may include avocado, kukui nuts, palm oil, coconut, and castor beans...

The overall project goal is to provide data for an economic model that can be used to encourage Hawaii farmers to grow oilseed crops and demonstrate the feasibility of a complete biodiesel manufacturing facility, complete with byproduct processing...The project is part of the West Coast Collaborative and is led by Honolulu Clean Cities with partners Pacific Biodiesel, Aloha Green, University of Hawaii – Hilo, College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management, Oceanic Institute, Hawaii Agricultural Research Center, and Grace Pacific...

-------
Today in History:
Pacific Commercial Advertiser announced that the Volcano House was open for business, 1866