Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New "Residents" Coming to Fill the Void???
I went out to Kea'au today to do our Sunday fruit / produce shopping at the market.
On the way back, I saw a man standing on the side of the road thumbing for a ride.
he had a stack of things at his side: a cooler with an assortment of things piled up on top of it.
My impression was of things for a low profile living system.
Everything in that stack was very dingy, looking stained and dirty.
He looked a little better, but not by an awfull lot.

I did not stop.
I did not speak with him.
I have no knowledge of what his intent was.
But, my mind's eye saw a flashing neon sign above him flashing: VAGABOND.

I will use that term because I hate the social stratification implied by the term "homeless" and the fear and loathing it seems to bring out in many people.
I have been "homeless" myself, living out of a pack, cardboard boxes, and a storage unit by choice on occasion.
I see nothing wrong with making that choice and will not stigmatize anyone that does.
I am not trying to rouse the peasants up to gab their pitchforks and torches to go out on a hunt.

But, I do not want to see a large influx of squatters coming in and taking advantage of the misfortunes of the actual residents and owners.

Has this potential problem been addressed?
Is it being addressed?
Is anyone even thinking about it?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
He might have been a displaced person. For many years a fair number of low income folks (some with a so-called "hippie" ethic) have been living as renters on various properties, sometimes collectively, throughout Puna. And there have been some squatters.

No doubt people from these 2 groups are among the displaced in Puna, along with many property owners. It is a difficult time to try to sort victims of the eruption.
I've seen people like that roaming around Puna for years and years. Doesn't seem like anything new to me.
...a large influx of squatters coming in and taking advantage of the misfortunes of the actual residents and owners

Worrying about an influx of squatters based on one guy standing by the side of the road with stuff is a pretty big jump. Perhaps talking to him might have reassured you.
Certainty will be the death of us.
standing on the side of the road thumbing for a ride.
he had a stack of things piled up on top of it.

Sounds like the standard Puna roadside attraction.
There are squatters here (read the many threads by people trying to evict them) and no doubt some of them are moving around due to the lava flow either into lower Puna, or out of lower Puna. I doubt very much there are new ones looking for empty homes, just an emergency shuffle.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Standard fare for Puna - Maybe a transplant from Oahu - homeless - maybe displaced from lower puna - or the newest trend on mainland is to offer one way flights to either Seattle or Hilo Hi .
Recently we have met via our church group - several wahine who are homeless from San Diego Calif who chose Hilo over Seattle.
Hilo is full of these types so nothing new for us .
Mrs.Mimosa
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...d-by-lava/

It's probably going to be sort of a thing.
Build a wall!