GET surcharge fails, here come the cuts
randomq @ 06:18:04 06/23/2018-
Regarding removing the scam economy,
I have premonitions of Nature doing it,
or forcing it to happen.
Causes not located in Hawaii.
We will get civil unrest in any case.
the county already taxes unpermitted structures

County pays $1M/year license fee to Pictometry so they can analyze aerial photos to determine the square footage of unpermitted structures for valuation.

I wonder if the taxes cover the cost...

Meanwhile, large landowners (like Shipman) pay about $2/acre/year in property tax on their vast empty parcels which have neither crops nor livestock. This happens with smaller lots too, somehow an ag exemption is applied even though there's no actual ag going on...

The problem isn't a "shortage of revenue", the problem is uncontrolled costs, special favors, contracts for friends and family...
Kalakoa, that's a good point. So how many acres do the large landowners hold? Divide our budget shortfall by that number and you have your property tax increase bill ready to go. Pau.
Situation has changed since last I looked.

http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_hawaii_display.php?KEY=160010160000&show_history=1&

4305 acres. 2015 taxes $5311, but 2016 and beyond $32K.

http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_hawaii_display.php?KEY=160010030000&show_history=1&

1000 acres of shoreline (!) taxes went from $2600 to $14.5K. (Which still seems low, considering.)

Now I have a different question: where did all that money go?
(Which still seems low, considering.)

Almost 700 acres assessed at $1.3 million? I’d say that’s low. A half acre on Kaloli Point runs about $250,000. And HPP is zoned Ag, like Shipman’s property, right?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Almost 700 acres assessed at $1.3 million?

Less than $2000/acre. I'm sure there are some lava evacuees who would be more than happy to pay that price for a replacement lot.

Along similar lines:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...mpassable/

For some reason I don't trust County's apparent "proactive" stance... oh, here it is:

Tim Sakahara, DOT spokesman, said a third route will go from the highway through the Black Sand subdivision and connect with Kaohe Homesteads. ... He didn't have a timeline for when the work would begin or how much it could cost. But Sakahara said these emergency projects have been moving fairly quickly.

Can we get an "emergency" declared for Hawaiian Acres roads?
lava evacuees who would be more than happy to pay that price for a replacement lot.

Paki Bay, is about half way from the Beach Road parking lot in HPP to Shipman Beach. It was at one time the largest population center on Big Island. A swap of inundated lots on Kapoho Bay for a $2000 Paki Bay property would probably be acceptable for many residents who lost homes. Think of it, Paki Bay ocean front, with areas that afford protected ocean access for canoes and outriggers, inland 5 acre ag lots, all connected by a walking path to Shipman Beach for swimming.

The County could assess the lots for hundreds of thousands of dollars, many at millions - - instead of $2000 an acre.

What's not to like for everyone whose last name isn't Shipman?

I alternate between thinking of the planet as home — dear and familiar stone hearth and garden — and as a hard land of exile in which we are all sojourners. Today I favor the latter view. The word “sojourner”... invokes a nomadic people’s sense of vagrancy, a praying people’s knowledge of estrangement, a thinking people’s intuition of sharp loss: “For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding.” - Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves