Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Puna people care more about Hilo Bay?
Uncle Billy's, closed last year, will be demolished.

http://bigislandnow.com/2018/03/14/dlnr-...new-hotel/

Probably will be county planning and permitting for the new hotel. Shoreline setback.

(On an aside, recently there was the interesting matter of Naniloa building a big coastal deck that hindered shoreline access near its pool 4 months ago. The deck was abruptly removed 3 weeks ago. The county was involved in that correction.)
Naniloa has the lease for Uncle Billy's lot and plans to build a timeshare type property.
I think we all care about Hilo Bay, it’s beautiful, but the water quality makes swimming or snorkeling in it undesireable.

The first step would be to put holes in the breakwater like Magic Island and Ko Olina lagoons and shorten it. The decision to create that was made almost a century ago, it’s time to fix it. Basically Hilo Bay is like a toilet bowl needing to be flushed.

Is there a large quantity of black cinder from Fissure 8 that could be used to spread across the bay front beach to restore the original black sand beach? Sounds crazy but Oahu does it all the time for Waikiki Beach and recently Kailua Beach. I know the Fissure 8 black cinder would be on private property, win, win.

I can’t wait for Uncle Billy’s to be bulldozed, but would prefer to see all that area restored to oceanfront park all the way to Reeds Bay Park and include some boat docks or a pier for small boats.

Have you seen how many people use Ala Moana Beach Park? Super family friendly park enjoyed by hundreds of people every day. We just lost some of our best swimming spots in Kapoho, Warm Pond and Pohoiki. We need to restore Hilo Bay. Good for tourism, good for residents, an investment in Hilo’s future.

The banyan trees on Banyan Drive are a beautiful asset to the area and I hope they never do anything to change that. One of the banyans in front of the Hilo Hawaiian was planted by my cousin (my grandfather’s 1st cousin) in 1933 so I like to say our family tree has roots in Hilo, ha, ha.