Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too good to be true?
I've been looking for a vacation rental for our trip in August and I ran accross Island Paradise Inn in Pahoa. I couldn't believe their prices, so it made me a bit suspicious. Has anybody seen or stayed there?

Thanks!
Yes it's to good to be true

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
The Paradise Inn is a collection of fixed up houses on the main street in Pahoa Village.
The owner has bought them one-by-one and brought them back to life for vacation rentals.
We have used them on occasion to accommodate overflow guests.
They are safe. On the inside, they are always spotlessly clean.
The street noise can be a problem in some of the bedrooms.

Not a great place to see the whole island from, but works to stay for a night or a few nights to see the Puna sights.

Too good to be true? Only if you are looking for luxury.

Aloha

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I've stayed there twice. The first time, I was wary, too (didn't know the neighborhood, traveling alone, so every noise made me wonder when the slave traders would be standing over me!). Its right next to the 7-11 store, across from the busy shopping mall right in Pahoa, so anything you need to do, is walking distance. The laundromat is there, and according to my computer, wireless is available (another story, my computer wouldn't hook up!).
The owner also runs Boogie Woogie Pizza, down the main drag aways, on a corner (you can park in the rear). The first tiny little one-room I stayed in, had a shower room in an attached building (toilet was in main building) but it didn't have hot water! (Of course, when you're naked, its hard to go get the landlord to complain!)
When I returned months later, another unit was great! I'd bought a house, but the keys wouldn't work, so I went to the Pizza place in panic, and she had an open unit for that night (wants minimum of a 3 day stay) so I could mosquito-proof my place, get furniture delivered and have a comfortable, safe & convenient stay until I was established.
Ophelia is a very ambitious lady, whoever is around will call her cell phone and set you up. They have refrigerators, clean dishes and sinks, (the units that I have tried) with the off-street parking - a U shaped drive, in case you miss the first drive (its hard to see). One night, the annual festival concert Pahoa players also stayed there, so I got to visit with them, free!
I've stayed at King Kam & Kona Islander in Kona, another motel in Waimea, bed & breakfasts in Hilo and Volcano, rented a half-house in HPP and I felt more like part of the old Hawaii after staying at Island Paradise Inn. Once you're on foot in Pahoa, you'll better understand why you should drive slowly through that area, to enjoy the variety of life you can view and for safety! The bypass is a good thing - to keep the high-speeders away from the leisurely pace of the downtown Pahoa!
The only thing I'd change would be shaded parking - hot sun or rain means you must be prepared to empty the car and ALWAYS carry your umbrella inside with you!! Its a RAIN FOREST out there! He he.
Morganlady

The slave trader part made me chuckle and the naked shower part pushed me over the edge!

Maybe you should write a book titled "morganladys adventures in Hawaii!"

macnut
I plan to stay there next time I'm in town. I'll be able to walk to the meetings with my building materials consultant, right Rob?[Smile]