Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pin Holes on Copper Pipes
I first noticed that our home has pex tubing for its water system during the pre purchase inspection.
I turned my nose up and sneered, thinking it was just a cheaper plumbing solution than copper.

We are now looking into adding solar hot water to bring our electrical usage down even more while being able to set higher temps for the hot water.
I looked into the pex to see if it could handle the higher temps.
For most household uses it is as good as copper.
It just looks cheap.

This thread has made pex look even better.
The acidity of the catchment water probably adds to the failure of the copper piping.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Another thing to consider is that if the water is corroding the copper you can bet hard cash money that its also eating the lead solder at the joints. Yum...

PEX is good but it can't handle exposure to UV light. I would stick with copper for hooking up a solar water heating system outside.
@kander
By everything I understand, it is illegal to use lead based solder for consumable water lines.
Contractors using lead based solder can get into big trouble.

Most likely you'll only find lead based solder used in an owner built where ignorance prevailed and/or cost was more important than safety, or an unlicensed, uninsured, fly-by-night, gypo contractor was used.

@bystander
Good to know.
The SHW install will be contracted out.
But, I shall ask about how it will be handled when the estimate is made.
I will be calling for one very soon.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I used hot water rated pex for my solar hot water system. The rating was quite a bit higher than my measured operating temperatures.

Over 1 years time I had two pex pipes burst in attic causing a big mess. I replaced with copper.
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

@kander
By everything I understand, it is illegal to use lead based solder for consumable water lines.
Contractors using lead based solder can get into big trouble.

Only since 1998 that was enacted, and you can bet there was a lot of stuff being put in after that as well. Regardless there is a lot of lead solder in homes out there and will be for years to come
Just tested the PH of our tap water, and it looks like 7. That's supposed to be normal.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Acid rain may be a thing of the past now that the eruption has ended.
One thing I noticed is the pipes at the water stations are copper.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first
the pipes at the water stations are copper
----------
Surprised they have not been stolen.