Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Choose?
The Kamehameha Schools trust was actually started as the one of the last actions of the Hawaiian Government. It is set up for HAWAIIANS (not just native Hawaiians of pre contact era, but all decendents of a country...ie not a race but members of a country that is no longer....) As such it is not race based & had been upheld as a grandfathered rule... I do not know the specifics of the most recent lawsuit, but previous ones have not been upheld...
Carey - The specific program that I was talking about was the one that they were extending to the DOE Public schools, and I believe this will soon be challenged with the Recent anti OHA stuff that has been going on.

Program Information

The Literacy Instruction and Support Division is responsible for fostering literacy development among Native Hawaiian K-3 children in public schools. The educational experiences provided Native Hawaiian children are rooted in literacy experiences...

-------
The more we speak up... the more they will listen.
It was my understanding that Kamehameha Schools trust was created by the will of Bernice Bishop and not the government. Shouldn't that leave them free to benefit whomever she designated?
Wayne, I was wrong (gotta make sure I check sources better - notmally I do, but I messed up on this!)
I checked my stuff & you are right, and there is a preference based on aboriginal (native) blood, not just Hawaiian as of 1887.... SOrry everyone for the lack of research here!