Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solar hot water maintenance rebate deal
Drainpipe called us today. They installed our solar hot water heater system about 7 years ago and offered us service under this rebate:

https://hawaiienergy.com/for-homes/rebat...er-heating

"Solar Water Heater Tune Up $100 REBATE
Already have solar water heating? Proper maintenance is key to getting the maximum life and benefit out of your solar water heating system. Hawaii Energy recommends maintenance tune-ups for solar water heating systems every 5 years. Right now get an instant rebate of $100 when your tune up is completed by one of our participating contractors.

How to get started:

Step 1: Find a participating contractor or Clean Energy Ally (CEA).
Step 2: Schedule the installation with the CEA.
Step 3: Upon completion of the installation, the instant rebate will be deducted from your invoice.
Step 4: The CEA will complete your application and submit to Hawaii Energy within 30 days of installation completion."

They say they will change the anode in the tank and clean and reseal the collector panels for $275 plus tax, or $175 after rebate. They say we only pay them the $175 and they file the rebate and collect themselves.

Seems like a good deal to me- what is the PW opinion?
U can do it urselves

HPP

HPP
I had it done a few years ago.I had a very high steep roof and I didn't want to do it.It rained and they wouldn't go up on the roof, it took a few calls to get them to come back to do that part.

I would think if you are on catchment the anode rod replacement is a good deal.You need an electric impact to get it out or almost super human strength.

They drain the tank to get out the sediment and bled all the air out of the system when they are done.

I used to be a plumber many years ago so I could have done it myself.
Thanks Obie! I will call today and schedule them to come out. I'd rather terracore not be up on the roof anyway.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
They came and did the job. Was very quick. Hot water has been light brown since. Was thinking of flushing the tank out but have never done it with a solar water system. Is there anything I need to know that is different than flushing a standard electric?
I would call Drainpipe.

When they did our's they drained and refilled the tank.If your water is brown, they left sediment behind.
I had Drainpipe come out and do mine a couple weeks ago. Performance of the system has dramatically improved to the point of I turned off the breaker for aux electrical on the tank. Oddly enough, it was Drainpipe that put the tank in 2 years ago and told me that I needed to replace the entire system as the panels on the roof were at life expectancy (17 years old at the time) The guy that came out said there was nothing wrong with my panels, they just needed cleaning. He also adjusted the temp differential on the controller to be at a wider point. It had been set at the minimum differential.