Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Canadian Hawaiian Islands
I found this article fascinating.  I had never heard about this aspect of Hawaiian history.  Nice to know we all have someplace to go when the lava lake meets the magma.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201123...an-islands
Actually, that's where my wife went during the 2018 eruption. We have a home on Salt Spring Island, where most of the Kanaka population resided. Unfortunately, like so many other cultures, assimilation pretty much drove the Hawaiian influence into the ground. Other than Kanaka Road, Kanaka Skate Park, and Kanaka dinghy dock, there's not much evidence of Hawaiian influence any more. There are some graves, and I think a plaque on St Pauls church, built by the Kanaka and the oldest and still functionong church on the island. There is also the Kanaka house on Russell Island, a national park just a short kayak ride away. And if you look hard enough, you can find a car with a bumper sticker that says "Salt Spring, the Hawaii of Canada".
That’s a fascinating story kalianna, thanks.
I was confused by the writer stating:

I learned that in the late 1700s, during a period of strife when Indigenous Hawaiians (including royalty) were losing their rights and autonomy at home, many of the men joined the maritime fur trade.

Kamehameha ruled from 1782-1819 so I wonder what rights and autonomy were lost by Native Hawaiians at that time?  Unless they were chiefs and relatives of chiefs on other islands that had been overthrown by Kamehameha?  Later in the article the writer does state some claimed royal heritage.