Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oceanic Time/Warner Cable
I have lost TV on my cable but my Roadrunner is still up. Isn't that a little strange? We are having wicked hard rain this evening....

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam,
It's called "Rain Fade" and it's the same thing that happens with a dish. So much solid matter gets between the satellite/broadcast antenna and the cable companies receiver that the signal derogates and drops out.
(The cable company loses reception)
Therefore, your RR and phone VoIP on the cable still works. It’s not the network connection to your home but its there’s no picture to send ya”.

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Okay, get this... PAM IS AN IDIOT.

Apparently, the remote got bumped to channel 1 which then reads "no signal". I can't believe it.

It's been working all along.
Ugh.....

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Oh, I forgot that reason!

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
I think you are incorrect in your assessment. It is my understanding a lot of the cable tv feed originates from the master headend on Oahu.It
is sent over the undersea fiber-optic line.

Oceanic has had a lot of outages not only here but statewide.
Aaron,
My assessment of signal failure is not incorrect. (Rain Fade) Y our understanding of where the signal is collected may be correct but it doesn’t eliminate the rain fade it just happens from the satellite to the station in Honolulu instead of Hilo. Rain fade also occurs in line of site microwave transmissions and home dish users, just ask them. Too much rain or in some locations snow and or heavy clouds between the broadcast and receive antennas and POOF signal interrupts.
This is also why sometimes you receive some stations and not the local ones. The cable company is having a problem receiving some input signals and in turn can’t send them out using off air, microwave or fiber optics. I don’t care how they are being transmitted, if they can receive them they can’t transmit em’. Again this is why your RR and VoIP phone will continue to work and the cable pictures are not visible.
I worked for cable in NYC for about 12 years.
[:0]

Yes things have been screwy on Oahu. I mentioned this last week on PW. However, I still notice now in Pahoa that all the "On Demand" progams are not working.

Oh well... try explaining that to a child that loves to watch his "on demand" programs...[V]

-------
If you have my old email, it will be changing soon. I have updated it through PW. Please email through PW instead of my old account to get new email.
Kahunascott, I actually inquired why there has been problems. The DNCS
server that serves the Big island has had problems. Hence all the outages. They've also had problems with the VOD servers too.

I've had cable TV for a very long time. I've never seen a instance that
rain fade has caused problems here with Oceanic's feed.

To amend what I wrote previously, the digital and probably HDTV feed for the Big Island originates from the master headend on Oahu. It is sent
over the fiber-optic line from Oahu. Some of the channels are obtained
locally though.
It might be the Oceanic guys here on Oahu, are getting so pissed about this Vog you people send us, with no apology or remorse! An EIS is in must be forthcoming!

Gordon J Tilley