Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii leaders ask Trump to halt inbound travel
From NBC News:

Leaders in Hawaii ask Trump to halt inbound travel

A trio of Hawaiian mayors asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday to halt nonessential out-of-state travel to the islands.

In a letter to the president, Kirk Caldwell of Honolulu, Derek Kawakami of Kauai and Mike Victorino of Maui argued the move would slow the spread of coronavirus, which has caused one death in a state with 258 cases. Caldwell said a majority of those cases were "travel-related."

"Now is not the time for leisurely travel," Kawakami said.

On Tuesday, Gov. David Ige ordered those traveling between islands to self-quarantine for 14 days.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Harry Kim is conspicuous by his absence from this project. Maybe he's down by the docks hoping to flag down a passing cruise ship so we can all have some company to brighten our drab lockdown existence.
Harry is doing The CD announcement every day.

Mango must have the virus !
Back to topic, we need the flights that are operating.

Unless these Hawaii leaders have a cargo airline up their sleeve, we need the airlift.
Unless these Hawaii leaders have a cargo airline up their sleeve, we need the airlift.

No argument there. We just need to stop bozos. Same limitations as have been imposed inter island. Simple.

It's like musical chairs. When the music stops we're suppose to sit down.
"We just need to stop bozos."

We need to vigorously enforce the regulations that have been passed !

Enforce the quarantine !

Enforce the quarantine

I believe the point is to not have to have people in quarantine. The manpower cost of administering, as you say enforcing, the quarantine program is impacting governments ability to do other things. Why should we have to when just stopping people from coming here would do it so much more efficiently?
At least some of the news coverage I've seen concerning this proposed measure specifically mentioned keeping air cargo moving. I also agree that simple quarantine of arrivals is problematical. At least one quarantined person has been arrested (on Kauai, I think) miles away from his hotel, and hokuili is right about manpower issues relating to enforcement. Just don't let them in.