Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubbish incinerator possibility on big island?
I know there is a trash incinerator on Oahu. I've read a bit about it and seen photos. I know that whoever runs it charges Oahu to burn the trash should the volume get down to a certain level, and that, at the time I read about it, with Covid, Oahu was having to pay. The incinerator plant generates electricity for that island. I wrote Mitch Roth an email months ago to 1. Suggest maybe we should look into building one for the big island, and 2. Maybe instead of towing our trash containers over to the West side, we put them on barges to Oahu. Maybe the added trash would get them back to free incineration, and maybe they would pay for he barging.  Maybe it's a preposterous idea on my part. I never got a reply to my email. Here's an article mentioning the plant on Oahu.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/11/recycl...lus-trash/
Jon in Keaau/HPP
(11-17-2020, 11:40 PM). Suggest maybe we should look into building one for the big island, Wrote: I am surprised, actually, that the big island doesn’t already have one.  Definitely worth looking at.  Of course, we must still practice recycling, composting, reusing.  But for some stuff...yep.
Oh, it is not a new idea for this island... The anti-everything crowd threw a fit and got it cancelled, maybe for good reasons as it was to have a many, many million $ price tag.
We can't even put in stoplights for under a million, so maybe that incinerator isn't so expensive after all...

County council just needs to smile and nod at the anti-everythingers and press on.
Aren't we $10M into the composting facility that hasn't been built yet?

Not building a W2E facility could easily cost $100M.
They spent money on a study, but it something about they would need to use the green waste and recycleables.
Then there was another company that wanted and the green and food waste, to then sell compost