Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cattle Grazing Along Highway ...
Had to go to town again today.
Coming back home on 130, just So. of Pahoa, my head snaps up when I see 3 or 4 head of cattle grazing in the tall grass just off the highway.
It's possible I just missed seeing it because of the tall grass and paying attention to traffic.
But, I saw no fence between them and the highway during  pretty heavy commuter traffic.

I come out of western states where there are highways in areas that are designated as grazing areas where the vehicle operator carries a large portion of the liability if they hit one.

I know of no similar situation in Hawaii.
My assumption is that on a designated highway in the locality of a city's urban area:
Hit a wild animal, it's your problem.
Hit privately owned livestock, loose on the roadside, the owner is responsible.

What is the situation in Hawaii?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
on a designated highway in the locality of a city's urban area

No incorporated cities other than Honolulu.
The term I was looking for is "free range".
Roads into and out of Free Range areas almost always have  cattle bridges across the roads at their boundaries.
I vaguely remember seeing cattle bridges across roads when I did a circumnavigation of Mouna Kea, realizing that there were free range areas on Mouna Kea.
From that, I believe there are such areas in Hawaii, though not many.
@kalakoa
From your post, the only thing I get from it is that Honolulu is the only incorporated area in Hawaii.
Urban areas are not incorporated areas.
Many surround incorporated areas but can be much larger, many are not associated with incorporated areas, but still have a relatively dense human population.
One sees cattle, horses and other animals tethered within a  right of way, in most all situations, incorporated, urban and rural .
Found this:
https://nationalaglawcenter.org/state-co...ence-laws/
 From what I see here, if those animals were loose, they were illegal.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
One or two cows routinely get out there. The fence is about 30 yards from the highway.

I took a photo a year ago of a very large bull on the side of the road near Macu’u Farmer’s Market tied to a stop sign!

I don’t know why it posted upside down.
Urban areas are not incorporated areas.

There are very few "Urban" areas, either. (Yes, a peeve.)

From what I see here, if those animals were loose, they were illegal.

Depending who owns them; legality will not be determined unless/until someone actually hits one with a car.
There are laws regarding farm animals.  There are criminal and potential civil issues that could arise.

HRS 142