Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Saddle Road Condition
Frau Chunkster has a 10:30 appointment in Waimea tomorrow, and the DOT website reports half a dozen planned lane closures on the Hawaii Belt Road between Hilo and there.  My on-line trip planner suggests Saddle Road and Old Saddle road as a faster alternative.  Has anyone driven Old Saddle Road lately?  I can't recall if it has been improved or not.  We don't mind the one lane bridges, but the former totally wrecked condition of the pavement would be something we'd avoid.  Thanks for any tips.
It was repaved a few years ago and was good but I haven't been on it lately.
I was on it a month ago. It’s wind-y but the pavement is good.
I’m assuming you’re talking about the Waikii road between 190 and Saddle.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Yes, that's the one, 8F. Thanks to you and Obie for replying.
We did it last week. It's paved all the way and in excellent condition but it's still a windy road so drive slower.
Thanks, macuu222! We will definitely keep the speed down.
Made the trip today and actually enjoyed the scenery. The winding part of the road was in great condition, and we saved a lot of time going this way compared to the last time we went through Hamakua. Thanks to all for the helpful info!
Was any of the brush along Waikii burnt? Fire was up that way not so long ago.
Yes, RQ. We saw some badly burned areas a few miles north of the ranch HQ and nearby subdivision and around the junction at the terminus of Old Saddle. The most remarkable thing was how quickly some of the land had recovered. We could tell exactly where it had rained because the grass was growing back thickly in the ashes. Also, we are pretty sure we saw the road kill carcass of an axis deer. I wanted to stop and get a closer look, but Frau Chunkster was having none of that.