Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Study: Ungulates could spread RODS
"The spatial patterns of ʻōhiʻa mortality observed across all four sites included in the study show significant differences in areas with and without ungulates, suggesting that ungulate exclusion is an effective management tool to lessen the impacts of ROD in forested areas in Hawaiʻi."
https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2021/08/17/r...d-animals/
That's a bummer. I was still hoping the HDOA or USDA would be able to find a solution. Wrangling every pig would be a tall order.
The wind spreads it. Getting rid of the goats, sheep and pigs won't really help except to stop the hunters. Heck, I bet birds spread it - are we going to exterminate all birds, too?
are we going to exterminate all birds, too?

The ROD ungulate study is extensive and well researched.
And as to your misleading comment about "birds", they disappeared long ago, worldwide, even in Hawaii,.  
Birds Aren't Real:
https://birdsarentreal.com/blogs/news
(08-21-2021, 08:15 PM)leilanidude Wrote: Getting rid of the goats, sheep and pigs won't really help except to stop the hunters..

Actually, from my experience, I'd speculate that the larger mammals of our forests do more damage, would spread RODS more efficiently, through the damage they do to the trees themselves by breaking the bark's barrier, and damage to the plants roots. As such, even if we acknowledge as you say, it's on the wind, it's the weight and behavior of the Ungulates that exacerbates the situation. So much so that they become a primary factor in its spread.
(08-21-2021, 08:15 PM)leilanidude Wrote: The wind spreads it. Getting rid of the goats, sheep and pigs won't really help except to stop the hunters. Heck, I bet birds spread it - are we going to exterminate all birds, too?

Yes, I believe that's correct, although I think it was because, for those on the coast, the birds are so much louder over the ocean than over land. But you know all about that.
(08-21-2021, 10:18 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:15 PM)leilanidude Wrote: Getting rid of the goats, sheep and pigs won't really help except to stop the hunters..

Actually, from my experience, I'd speculate that the larger mammals of our forests do more damage, would spread RODS more efficiently, through the damage they do to the trees themselves by breaking the bark's barrier, and damage to the plants roots. As such, even if we acknowledge as you say, it's on the wind, it's the weight and behavior of the Ungulates that exacerbates the situation. So much so that they become a primary factor in its spread.

It's wonderful to watch two of the top scientific minds in Puna debate this topic.
(08-22-2021, 12:59 PM)TomK Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 10:18 PM)MyManao Wrote: Actually, from my experience...

It's wonderful to watch two of the top scientific minds in Puna debate this topic.

So, since you spoke up, do you have any experiences you’d like to share, or did you just chime in to tell us about the stick you’re sitting on?
A friend (born here and older than I) told me ROD was common 20 years ago, and that the infection followed pig trails.

In the end it doesn't matter how or when ROD got here, because the "authorities" won't do anything about it. I suggest that it's not too late to start a reforestation effort with alternate species so that we will continue to have a watershed.
(08-22-2021, 05:38 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 12:59 PM)TomK Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 10:18 PM)MyManao Wrote: Actually, from my experience...

So, since you spoke up, do you have any experiences you’d like to share, or did you just chime in to tell us about the stick you’re sitting on?

No, just passing by, and wondering why someone who doesn't understand physics and someone who can't keep track of their sock puppets were debating each other. It's amusing to watch, so please continue, and apologies for interrupting things.