Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mayor looking at closing beaches.
Does anyone remember the rationale behind the change? Perhaps there was a good reason 

This is what I remember.  The Keaau Transfer Station was always open 24 hours.  One day I drove up and the whole place stunk to high heaven, with two workers shoveling up what they described as fish heads.  Some idiot tried to dump a huge load of old fish parts into one of the dump trailers, but missed, leaving the pile where transfer station users would normally park to off load.  It was truly disgusting.  It still smelled a week or two later, even after workers repeatedly hosed down the area.

After that they put up the fence, the gate, and posted hours.  I can’t say for 100% certain the old fish was the reason, but one occurred shortly after the other.
(08-31-2021, 06:40 PM)ChunksterK Wrote: Closing the transfer stations for three days a week would be a really stupid thing . . . even for our inept county government.  I can't find any news or official announcements regarding this.  Anyone have a link to a believable source?  Or is some idiot bureaucrat or politician just "mulling" it?

Edited to add:  I just looked on bigislandnow.com , and they confirm this lame plan.  Of course, the county's own website hasn't been updated.  Expect exponential increases in roadside dumping with no improvement in Covid infection rates.  Stupid is as stupid does.
So this is all about Covid mitigation? In that case it's, most generous word that comes to mind,  misguided.  Fewer days means more congestion during hours open, exactly what you're trying to avoid.  Instead, block the middle parking spaces near dumpsters to keep people away from one another.  Not that outdoor exposure for a few seconds is problematic. Geez!
Kind of like Bank of Hawaii closing branches and forcing everyone to go to the downtown branch.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
I've seen great big plies of garbage outside the fence next to the closed gates because of the closures.
Little doubt the dumping of garbage in less obvious locations has increased and will continue to with more and longer closures.
Because people were doing that is the reason for starting the dump and transfer stations.
Those in control have little to no memory.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Oy Vey.
(09-02-2021, 05:51 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Does anyone remember the rationale behind the change? Perhaps there was a good reason 

This is what I remember.  The Keaau Transfer Station was always open 24 hours.  One day I drove up and the whole place stunk to high heaven, with two workers shoveling up what they described as fish heads.  Some idiot tried to dump a huge load of old fish parts into one of the dump trailers, but missed, leaving the pile where transfer station users would normally park to off load.  It was truly disgusting.  It still smelled a week or two later, even after workers repeatedly hosed down the area.

After that they put up the fence, the gate, and posted hours.  I can’t say for 100% certain the old fish was the reason, but one occurred shortly after the other.

Thanks, HOTPE. I don't remember that, I thought there was another reason which I simply can't recall at this time. I'll do some digging.