Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid booster mixup at HMC
The seniors I helped sign up for Covid vaccinations back when they started are now looking to get booster shots.  Two had the Pfizer shot, and I went on the VAMS website as soon as they qualified and scheduled a booster at HMC.  Got the booster appointments and shots with no problem at the Arc of Hilo HMC outlet.  

Second one had the J&J and requested to do the "mix and match" option, having  become convinced the J&J alone was inferior.  (She has no computer or smart phone, but does watch TV.  I did some on line research and think she made a good choice.)  So I go back to the VAMS website this morning, put in all her information, and they quickly approved a Pfizer booster at Arc of Hilo/HMC.  Her daughter took her to the Arc whereupon they refused to give the shot.  They told the staff that VAMS had approved the appointment, but were told,  "We know they're doing that, but we're not giving the shots.

After hearing all this, I called HMC, and they told me that despite the fact that the CDC has approved these types of boosters, it may be another two weeks before HMC makes a decision on whether to do it.  She didn't even apologize for the trouble people are going through.  My friend was not the only one. 

What gives?  This has been in the works for weeks, and HMC can't make up their mind?
I think the official approval for Moderna/J&J boosters just came yesterday. I went to the VAMS site today to see about getting a booster for Moderna but no appointments had been posted yet. Hopefully next week.
Update: Saw a news item that said CVS/Long's was offering mix and match boosters at select locations in Hawaii. Went to their website and got our friend an appointment for Monday in Hilo. The news item specifically said they had anticipated the CDC decision and were ready to go, and the website confirmed that clearly.

@kalianna: CVS/Long's is offering Moderna boosters at their Puainako location in Hilo. You do not have to go through the VAMS website, and the shots are free. Go here:

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine?cid=ps_cvdvcc_bd&gclid=CjwKCAjw5c6LBhBdEiwAP9ejGy-WPIHTj73awu02x9xSV6X4eA0ZofuUdSL8CWIOU4LO1Ek7hJ91qxoC5AwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Mahalo, ChunksterK.
Had J&J first shot back in March ...made an appointment the day after the CDC decision with Longs in Keaau for Pfizer second shot. Went in on Friday at noon and out in 20 minutes( had to sit for 15 after shot). No problems at all for mix and match. My wife on the other hand wanted to stay with a J&J second shot and that's not offered anywhere here at the moment. So she's still waiting.....
We know they're doing that, but we're not giving the shots.

And yet DOH adopted the CDC booster guidelines: https://health.hawaii.gov/news/newsroom/...-vaccines/

This has been in the works for weeks, and HMC can't make up their mind?

HMC: State of Hawaii.
CVS: Private corporation.
FYI.... KTA in Waikaloa Village currently has limited J&J vaccine available. Made an appointment for Friday. Don't like driving 200 miles just to get a vaccine that should be here locally but we're flying in mid November to the Mainland and can't wait until Hilo gets their act together. BTW.... I found out that Longs does not distribute J&J anymore statewide.
Long's is offering boosters now. Sign up at CVS.com. I entered my info at 10:15 and was able to get the booster shot at 11:00. They had appointments every 15 minutes all day.

Best part is I got the shot in Pahoa.