Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead ohia from ROD
(01-11-2022, 09:53 PM)AaronM Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 02:53 AM)kimo wires Wrote: Also, the tops can break off during windy days and become projectiles. I was trying to push a dead one down with my tractor and the top broke off and came down like a spear to the ground right next to me. I'll never do that again.

Kimo, you just described what is known to loggers as the dreaded 'Widow Maker'. 

In a dense forest with a crowded canopy, it can be difficult to see which trees have dead limbs or even a dead top.

Many chainsaw cowboys and even professional fallers have been maimed or killed in this way. 

Please be careful everyone.
That's my concern.  Cutting on a tree that's leaning against a dead ohia, or pounding a wedge into a dead ohia being cut down could dislodge a branch or tree top on top of me.  Even a small branch falling from 20 ft. or so could cause serious injury, including death.
From my experience, it is about 3-5 years when the trees start disintegrating and falling. I have dozens of dead trees, and I've had quite a few fall in the last year or so. While every tree is different, for the most part the trees fall in parts, with lateral branches falling first. When they fall, the pieces are - normally - brittle enough that I can break into pieces that I can carry to the mulch pile.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present