Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Brouhaha
Grr lost it .. Sign posted along the HW (11) with number to call for Poho info.

Anyone have it ?

Dear Mr. SS,

I appreciate and support both your position + writing style .. Punaweb needs more open minds.

Hubby and I with you.
It's cool, we can keep forcing our fisherpeople to pay for more gas, resulting in higher food prices. NBD, go about your business.
Don't forget about how we should be more self-sufficient with local food production in case there's a major supply-chain disruption.
(08-30-2022, 02:00 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote:     in the 1960 Kapaho eruption people came and hauled it all away for gardens and landscaping.

Good idea.  But if the county followed that route they would only hire one worker to collect $5 per pail, and make a profit clearing a channel.  Instead of paying multiple consultants, contractors, inspectors, project managers inflated contract awards.
Ooohh!  

maybe we could make it a community event: get a whole crowd of Puna people down there for a holiday and get the whole thing over with in a hurry!  

I’m thinking everybody bring your own buckets and haul the gravel back to your house for driveway repairs!  It would be gone in no time.  

Anybody volunteering to do a barbecue for participants?

ccat
(08-30-2022, 06:21 AM)MyManao Wrote: Unless the consultant starts obeying state environmental laws and considering alternate locations, absolutely nothing..

I hope you're right. I like that beach.

I always thought Pohoiki was too small for the amount of use dependent upon it. After the loss of Kaimu and Kalapana (1990) mixing recreation with the boating industry was already a stretch. And then, as the population grew that place had to bare an untenable load of incompatible activities for such a small place.

When the lava took that place out it was like wow, finally, now state guys can figure out a new, and viable, plan for boating in Puna. And right then it was obvious that with a little vision the waters off that side of the island could become a major contributor to the fishing industry in the state. But no, no one I've heard has brought that vision to the table. It seems the fishing guys would rather go back to the way it was, and the state, as usual, would like to study the thing to death..

As far as I can tell the answer lies in constructing a harbor, similar to Honokohau in Kona, in Kaimu. It is the one place on that stretch of coast that is already, in many ways, set up for that kind of improvement. There is a good state highway to it, a solid electrical infrastructure, and the state owns all the land that filled in Kaimu Bay.

This would not just create a boat ramp, which I would hope is the very first thing done, but also build a place for harboring boats, and creating a boat service center, with fueling, an ice house, secure parking, and all the other things the guys that fish need to make it a serious endeavor with a sustainable profit margin. Sheesh, let Suisan put a buyer there and transport the fish to town themselves. This would give the industry a chance not just to survive, but also grow. And it could be a major boon to Puna, both in jobs and growth of the community.

But, hey, I probably stepped on so many toes just saying as much that they'll be making voodoo dolls of me before the day is done. Anyways.. that's what I would suggest if it was mine to do.. but it ain't.. thankfully.
Just add in a separate swimming area, amphitheater, and food truck parking, and you might create a little economy down there.
you might create a little economy down there.

And don’t forget Crybaby’s idea for:
making voodoo dolls

In Puna, and East Hawaii there will always be large groups of people against almost anything.  But believe in the effectiveness of voodoo dolls.