Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyland to Paint His Final Mural
The marine artist Wyland says he'll paint his 100th and final mural in Beijing.

Wow! Talk about painting the world over!

Many of his murals are here in Hawaii!

I wonder exactly why he's not going to do any more murals though?
He's still young and in good health.

I was lucky enough to see this mural everyday on Oahu.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
Wyland;

Isn't he that businessman who was once an artist? I have great respect for his business chops. While not having an original idea for over ten years (even putting Disney characters in his paintings), he continues to amass millions. A virtual Donald Trump with a spraygun. Best of luck to him.

I kind of agree. I find I have to turn away when I come upon one of his clone murals. But then again. It's America. If you can paint a better whale then the next guy and sell it 100 times it's the coin of the relm.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
He may be a "sell-out artist", his Charitable work is honorable, and he wouldn't have been able to do all this charitable work w/out becoming a "Business Man".

Since 2003, the Wyland Foundation has embarked on a five-year touring schedule to promote art, science, and conservation. The program has reached children along the East Coast, West Coast, and the Mississippi River regions. To date, the Wyland Foundation has conducted tour events in more than 35 states, Mexico, and Canada, reaching more than 50 million people. In 2007, the artist, along with science educators and volunteers, conducted a national tour for clean water, themed, "From Pike's Peak to the Chesapeake Bay — Every Drop Counts," to raise awareness through art and science about protecting watersheds nationwide. Activities include water quality testing at rivers, bays and lakes, a pledge drive to reduce water waste, mural painting with children, life-size mazes about water conservation, and a 1,000 square foot clean water learning center on wheels, featuring exhibits about the future of river management, lake regions, estuaries, and wetlands.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
Hey, I said I respect his business acumen.

I also suspect his generosity is encouraged by his tax attorneys.

All said though, his charity work is noted and appreciated. He's no Scrooge.

As far as his art goes; Andy Warhol painted a mean soup can, but he didn't do it over and over again.
not to mention all the copycats too! AS a matter of fact I grew up with one of them on Maui, Christian Lassen! Oh course in the old days he was known to us as "Turkey", and his brother Ron was known around Lahaina as "Rat Face". Now Lassen has countless studios all around the world![Sad!] For what, Surreal seascapes???[:o)]

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."

Bertrand Russell
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
George Sumner was on Maui about the same time. Although I was lucky enough to get a signed lithograph, I havent seen much of him lately!

We also dont really know what Wyland does at home in his own studio just for himself.
quote:
I was lucky enough to see this mural everyday on Oahu.

I was lucky enough to actually see him paint that mural over 20 years ago while I was living on my sailboat at the Ala Wai. He also painted a mural on an Aloha Airlines plane. I wonder what will become of that jet?

http://www.pbase.com/aqohana/koholalele
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
I guess he's just not my style. I find his work overdone and tacky. Glad others enjoy it though.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9613126

This is weird. I never heard of this artist, and all of a sudden he appears here, and I learn I've been seeing his work for years on the highway!