Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ho'oleilana - a newly discovered bubble of galaxies
I kept this one out of the MK observatories discovery thread as it's not directly linked to them but this is a new discovery led by Brent Tully and the Univerisity of Hawaii. You might remember Brent's team made international news with their discovery of the Laniakea Supercluster (https://youtu.be/rENyyRwxpHo?si=17VAatCb15WtyenM). Now they've analyzed data to discover a massive bubble of galaxies which has been given the Hawaiian name Ho'oleilana.

"Vast bubble of galaxies discovered, given Hawaiian name"

"A University of Hawaiʻi-led discovery of an immense bubble 820 million light years from Earth is believed to be a fossil-like remnant of the birth of the universe. Astronomer Brent Tully from the UH Institue of Astronomy and his team unexpectedly found the bubble within a web of galaxies. The entity has been given the name Hoʻoleilana, a term drawn from the Kumulipo, a Hawaiian creation chant evoking the origin of structure."

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2023/09/05/b...ooleilana/
Thanks for posting this article Tom!

These kinds of news items always leave me in a state of awe.

I saw my father cry 2 times in his life. The last time was when we buried his wife and my mother.

The first time was as a young 12-year-old girl on a warm Sunday night on July 20, 1969, as Neil Armstrong said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for all mankind."

I've been in awe of "space" ever since!
I've been in awe of "space" ever since!
----------
@HiloJulie
Speaking of space, is there any reason why you have to put all those blank lines and extra large fonts into every post?
(09-06-2023, 07:20 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I've been in awe of "space" ever since!
----------
@HiloJulie
Speaking of space, is there any reason why you have to put all those blank lines and extra large fonts into every post?

I suggest spending your time writing to "Sci News" as they also leave spaces and use different fonts. Perhaps you could add something in the comment section that would be a bit different from the one comment already there, it would be a nice distraction from being the PW font monitor.

https://www.sci.news/astronomy/hooleilana-12250.html

PS. For those with an interest in education in physical sciences, the first and only comment on that article at the time of this post is a gem. As young post-graduate and post-docs, we used to get hand-written letters like this. Now anyone can post crap to the internet.
@TomK wow reading that comment hurt my brain. I guess I could try to paraphrase it as "instead of the big bang, the whole universe just simultaneously started from quantum foam, which coalesced into hydrogen, gravitated into bubbles and clumps, and formed stars, etc".

I assume red-shift, and myriad other measurements, contradict that theory?
I think you are giving the comment more credibility than it deserves (I know you're not really, that's how bad the comment is). It is so nonsensical it's hard to even say what contradicts it because it's pure fantasy and reads as though the writer was on an acid trip at the time. Trying to contradict the comment would be like saying Harry Potter's spells can't work because the sun is powered by nuclear fusion.