Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-transit insurance for container?
Did anyone get in-transit insurance for bringing their container/stuff to the Big Island? Apparently our homeowners' ins. (actually they'll shift it to renter's) will cover our belongings in the transition period, but only for theft & other stuff that would happen in a house. It wouldn't cover, say, the ship going down or if they dropped the container. It's SUPER expensive for the freight forwarder's insurance (up to $6K for a low deductible!) - so I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it necessary. Mahalo, all - our container ships on July 25!
Our home owner's insurance both on the mainland and Hawaii covered very little in the move. Our moving company provided the regular moving insurance (by the pound) & a supplemental policy for high value items (art, antiques, electronics). All of those items were professionally crated and arrived without a scratch. For an additional $500,000 of insurance for damages at full replacement value, no deductible we paid about $500. I would say if your items are well crated wrapped with the three layer moisture barrier protection and loaded properly,you should be OK without extra insurance at $6K... that seems an absurd amount of money given the lack of risk involved.

Has anyone ever heard of a barge with containers going down on it's way here?

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
As I understand it one of the reasons that container rates are commodity based (what's in the container) is variables in insurance costs borne by Matson and other carriers.

My assumption is that if a container or ship is lost at sea the carrier coverage (usually Lloyd's of London) would be available.

Personally insuring a container's contents would primarily apply if there were extremely fragile items poorly packed - which would be your responsibility. There is little or no reason I know of to insure against the loss of the filled container itself.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I’ve seen some mutilated containers sitting on the dock
Another thing, if you are insuring high value items, they go on a special docket and are detailed in description as well as photographed in detail before being crated and immediately after they are uncrated.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com