Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Natural" products?
I was surprised to find out that well known body care and household products products(on high end side)was found to have a very high level of carcinogenic chemical 1,4 dioxane..
Those companies named as a defendants in the lawsuit filed by CA's Attorney General:

Avalon (makes Alba products);

Beaumont(makes VeggieWash and Clearly Natural products;

Nutribiotics (grape seed extract and personal care products);
Whole Foods (Whole Foods 365 brand ).

The testing were done by the Organic Consumer Assosiation (OCA)and released in March.
Results of the testings can be found at

www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/DioxaneResults08.cfm

Source:Environmental News Service

Though the lawsuit is basically about the absence of warning on the label and those type of warnings here in CA can be found everywhere
(hotels,for example),but it's better to be on the safe side.

I don't know if the above mentioned products are being sold in Hawaii.
Hope,not.
Eating 8 servings(I think) of organic peanut butter is as carcinogenic as smoking a pack of cigarettes, because of very very carcinogenic mold that affects them. All peanuts are affected, but "non organic" peanuts are usually treated.

Natural doesn't mean safe. Safe means safe. Sharks are natural, and not safe. E-coli, is natural and not safe. Amanita toxins are the most deadly substances known, only plutonium is a runner up. Imagine something so deadly, a drug, it stops your RNA from replicating. 1 mcg per kg of body mass is usually lethal.

Getting past dogmatic assertions no matter what your preference is a skill most of us need to learn and reinforce.
I totally agree with you.But if there are other products to chose from,there is no particular reason (at least for me) to take chances.
I posted this just as info.Everyone has to make their own decision.
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

I don't know if the above mentioned products are being sold in Hawaii.
Hope,not.

They can be sold on Hawaii and they can be sold in California. There are products with 2 or 3 times as much of the chemical and is perfectly legal for sale without any threat of government enforcement. The SDWTEA-1986 is a labeling requirement, not a control over the sale of these items. All the law requires is that if a product has any of the items listed on the list that it is labeled appropriately. Almost all life saving emergency medical drugs are on the list. The regulation does not pass judgement over the harm product posses, only that it be labeled. You can sell a product with 80% anthrax and it's not a violation of Prop65, but forget to mention a minute amount of caffeine or aspirin, and lawsuits will befall you. Outside of CA, Prop65 is viewed as a well intended regulations that amounts to butkus.

(Everyone in CA consumer protection knows that Prop65 is a consumer nothing regulation because there’s no restriction except a label. But it generates big money to the state in taxes from the sale of items to conform with Prop65’s requirements and from the fines to companies who mistakenly sell a product without the right label.)
[Wink]
Bob,I you read all of my post,I did mention that is basically about the absence of warning(on the label).Whether it's really safe-time will tell.Sometimes-decades.
But if even the slightest chance of a harm and the companies will continue to use that ingredient- warning or not,there are plenty of good products to chose from.
Glad to see 'ND' after Avalon's shampoo. I've been using their shampoo and conditioner for years. And yes, Avalon products are sold at Keaau's Natural food store and the other health food store on Hilo Bayfront. Forgot the name of the store, 'cause I've been off island for almost two months now...can't wait to get back to Puna.

Still, thanks for the info.

val
You are welcome,Val.Glad to help. I was using one of the Alba products some time ago.
I think VeggieWash is the worst product to use.
In the "part of the solution" phase, still hope, what products are suggested instead?

not sure on the validity of baking soda as a veggie wash? but, was told by a registerd nurse to use it.

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Kapohocat,not sure which product you mean-VeggieWash?