Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing With Our Island's Rubbish – The Next Step
FROM RECYCLE HAWAII PRESS RELEASE, August 25, 2008:
"Hawaii Island has a rubbish problem, which is fast becoming a crisis. The Hilo landfill will be completely full in the next 2-4 years. Before that happens, it is important that our communities come together and discuss solutions to this complex problem – a problem that impacts every resident as well as those who come here to visit.

A possible solution, one that was endorsed by a majority of the Hawai’i County Council in October 2007, is to develop a plan based on the concepts of Zero Waste. Though Zero Waste has many aspects, its primary goal is to find better uses for the materials that we usually take to the landfill - with the aim of reducing waste to as close to zero as possible. HI5 and mixed-bin recycling is clearly part of that effort, but so is keeping green waste and compostable items out of the landfill, creating more reuse opportunities for clothing, household goods, and building supplies, reducing packaging and transport costs by purchasing food from local farmers, and making it more convenient for island residents to properly dispose of hazardous and electronic waste.

During the month of September, residents will have many opportunities to learn about Zero Waste through a series of community forums. The goals are to provide information about Zero Waste, to bring stakeholders, such as recyclers, haulers, farmers, and associated businesses, together with interested citizens in order to share information and ideas, and ultimately, to develop a plan of action for Hawai’i County.

You can attend a public meeting at any of the following locations; some meetings have a particular emphasis, but all are welcome.

Kona – Meetings from 6:00-8:00pm
September 8 and 10: The Mayor’s Office Conference Room (behind the Big Island Grill)
September 9: Liquor Commission Conference Room; 75-5722 Hanama Place #1107
• September 8: Reuse & Recycling, Special Discards
• September 9: Education and Policy
• September10: Organics

Waimea
September 11: Thelma Parker Library
6:00-8:00pm
All key players and interested community members

Kapa’au, North Kohala
September 12: Old Kapa`au Courthouse/Senior Center (located next to the Kamehameha statue) 6:00-8:00pm
All key players and interested community members

Kohala Coast
September 13: Zero Waste Conference at Mauna Lani – Public Session
9:00am-Noon
Any interested party

Hilo
September 15: Mokupapapa Discovery Center, 308 Kamehameha Avenue
5:00-7:00pm
Reuse & Recycling

Pahoa
September 17: B&B at 13-3775 Kalapana Highway
5:00-7:00pm
Organics

Hilo - both meetings held at Naniloa Volcanoes Resort ( Kilohana Room) from 5:00-7:00pm
• September 18: Special Discards
• September 19: Education & Policy

In addition to the public meetings, a Zero Waste conference, sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Hawaii Island Economic Development Board, is being held at the Mauna Lani Hotel and Bungalows from September 11-13. Along with Richard Anthony Associates, Zero Waste experts Professor Gunter Pauli, Paul Connett PhD, Neil Seldman PhD, and Richard Flammer will be presenting. Representatives from Hawai’i County will also be in attendance, offering the perspective of our local government. For more information about the conference, contact HIEDB at 935-2180 or visit: www.hiedb.org/zero-waste-conference-2008

Community meetings are brought to you by the County of Hawai`i, Councilman Bob Jacobson, and Recycle Hawai'i.

For more information, call 969-2012 or go to Recycle Hawai'i’s website at www.recyclehawaii.org."

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
The lecturer at the compost class I attended last weekend said that compostable items make up about 55% of The Big Islands landfill bulk. Another good reason to compost.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Andrew, that is right!
dirty paper, brush, grass clippings, food discards, and untreated wood are major compostable materials that are buried in the landfill.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I can't believe people still throw grass clippings in the trash, especially on Hawaii.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I can't believe people still throw grass clippings in the trash, especially on Hawaii.

Actually, I agree. Same with brush and food discards! But, they do and something needs to be done about those clippings.

More over, I do not buy into the lawn mowing thing at all -- but recognize that my neighbors do and we, as a whole community, deal with what we all do as individuals and families. Right?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
What about glassphalt?

I do not know the process but we should be looking into recycling glass instead of stockpiling it.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

What about glassphalt?

I do not know the process but we should be looking into recycling glass instead of stockpiling it.

Last time I heard (and reckon no big changes since), of the major items -- metal, plastic, glass -- glass is the only one being 100% re-used or recycled on the island. All glass goes to road mix for roads here on this island.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park