Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protecting a Vacation Home While Away
Curious. My "workshop" was fully permitted with the bath and shower. It is completely detached from the house. The kitchen was installed (and later removed) after the fact. No work gets down in the "workshop". I am on AG. (I do plan to do AG on my AG land, too! -- Once I get there, sigh.)
Hawaiian Paradise Park is zoned Agricultural, so where does that leave us?
This is where Kapohocat, or someone as knowledgeable, comes in.

There are MANY ohana-type dwellings in HPP. Just need to work with a qualified professional to help you where you need to go. Most of these are on the lower level of a home, but I know for a fact that the county will approve, for example, a workshop with toilet and shower in a detached structure, like a garage. The workshop may have gorgeous italian tile and crown moulding, and may never see a lick of work, other than strenuous efforts to have a great time.
The 2008 National Electrical Code requires ac powered, interconnected smoke alarms with battery back-up. Purely battery powered alarms are not allowed in new construction. Additional placement requirements exist, your electrician can outline them. but for all intents and purposes, it's one per bedroom and one in the hallway between bedrooms.

dick wilson

yup you are right Dick good eye! ... the sensors I used are UL approved heat rise detectors much more stable than photocell or radioactive ionization smoke detectors in high humidity installations btw they are approved for residential and commercial use.

The whole alarm system is UL approved and replaces all the home depot junk installed per code that lasted about three months before the humidity failed the ionization chambers. Just what we need more radioactive waste for the landfill ..

regards Bullwinkle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - DickWilson on 09/11/2008 14:26:42
Rate of Rise detectors are far superior to ionization or photo cell detectors. False alarm rates are non existent. They are a little pricier than photo or ionization. but well worth the money. Most are interconnected on 4 wire vice 3 wire. but for new construction that should not be a problem. They would certainly be my choice for a residence that would be unattended for any period of time. IE vacation home. Also, most alarm companies will void any warranty for their systems if they are not tested by the owner (usually monthly).

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
quote:
Originally posted by Glen

This is where Kapohocat, or someone as knowledgeable, comes in.

There are MANY ohana-type dwellings in HPP. Just need to work with a qualified professional to help you where you need to go. Most of these are on the lower level of a home, but I know for a fact that the county will approve, for example, a workshop with toilet and shower in a detached structure, like a garage. The workshop may have gorgeous italian tile and crown moulding, and may never see a lick of work, other than strenuous efforts to have a great time.

This is a good start, but I suspect that a caretaker is going to want a kitchen, too! That seems to be the rub, if I understand the County's rules correctly.
Quite often evil-minded scofflaws who I hereby condemn HEARTILY will do this: Have a bathroom/shower put in a detached dwelling. Get it permitted, including a nice array of electrical outlets in an empty space -- then throw in a very small "kitchen" after the fact with a bar sink, a microwave, and a coffeemaker, and a hotplate (Walmart has an AMAZING array of these including automatic shutoff, which you will want.). E-mail me directly for more horrific stories from the terrible, terrible things I have seen. It makes me want to reach for my hanky.
Why not use it as a vacation rental? You can block off the date which you want to use the house. My wife do house cleaning for vacation rental. We live on fifth and can keep an eye on your property.

canhle
canh Le
Mella,
Are you thinking of coming back to Hawaii soon?

quote:
Originally posted by mella l

Well some people arrange for a house sitter like moi!! Smile [:I]

mella l

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."

canhle
canh Le