Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voyaging Canoes
Hi all, pretty new here and to the island--looking for some kindred spirits.

I've been involved heavily over the last decade in the Sea-steading movement--for those of you who don't know--is an attempt to duplicate the homesteading model on waterborne craft. The concept isn't new, it's got thousands of years behind it, especially in Oceania, but recently many westerners who are fed up with high costs and increasing constraints in liberty ashore have desperately looked to a new frontier--and the ocean is really all thats left.

Most successful seasteads around the world are sailboats, and a great number of those are the greenest form of transportation out there--non-axillary sailboats. There's quite a number of quality used older boats out there that can be had for very little money and make fine ocean-going homes. I've lived that way myself for about a decade now.

Still, the world is changing and these changes go to sea as well. Development is most everywhere and with it costs that make any sort of minimalist/ecologically benign lifestyle near impossible. This is no different with seasteading. While the wind is free and the oceans are wide open--the shore is not--and like every bird must land, so must a boat return to shore. Any port of commercial viability is so developed and boat-unfriendly that it can become very cost intensive indeed. This may change, as the economy suffers--but with for an eye to the future I'm looking for a new sort of craft.

The catamaran or double canoe is a sensible alternative. Light weight, involving little in terms of materials--if built sensibly and as a working platform not merely a rich man's toy--it has proven to be a very effective vehicle for seasteading. I plan to be involved in building these of a new hybrid plan, heavily borrowing from traditional concepts but in the most cost effective modern materials. What better place than Hawaii, where the Waterman still lives? Anyway, I'm looking for people interested and or knowledgable who would enjoy being part of the project, and details will follow as I've got them.

Thanks!

Jay FitzGerald

www.oarclub.org

WaterWorld? Didn't that movie bomb?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
One word: WOW.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I'm guessing you're already a subscriber to Multihulls Magazine? If not, here's a link:

http://www.multihullsmag.com/

Click on "Boats" over in the left-hand column for zillions of boat brokers, cat/tri designsers, performance comparisons, home-builder links, etc etc etc.

The 3D-magazine has been around for ages and ages, and in addition to being helpful and informative, will definitely keep you motivated.

Heaps of good luck to you!...whether you do indeed decide to go the long hard route of building...or simply buying someone else's home-built dream.

Actually, money-wise and time-wise, you may very well find that the very best bets are lying at anchor, just waiting for you, in Suva or Vava'u or Auckland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - malolo on 10/09/2007 19:35:18
Multi-hull magazine is interesting but no one really builds the sort of boats I'm thinking of. Wharram of course is the closest, but his designs are awful material expensive and one can do better with a lot of planning.

Actually, I've built a number of boats--and I build for a living, and it might surprise people how fast you can turn a boat out if you're going at it in a skilled manner full time and with intent to finish. A cylinder molded cat shouldn't take anyone a year to finish even if they build all the spars and sails and keep the boat very simple like a Seasteader must.

Here's my last boat, and I cruised this one for 4 years in SE Alaska and British Columbia before sailing to Southern California a year ago. I sold the boat in San Fransisco to a pair of budding Seasteaders, mostly because she was a really big heavy boat and I'm starting to suffer a bit of arthritis at times.

www.macha.bravehost.com

I built this from a bare hull in 8 months, sewed all the sails, rigged it, and went sailing. Sure, it was 8 months of long hard days, but I do this for a living, not a hobby!

If you live on the ocean, where does the "waste" go?

Carrie

"In through a doorway she brings me
White gold and pearls stolen from the sea..." U2
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
People on boats in general do one of several things.

a. Store in a tank, bring it ashore, pump in into a tank so the city can pump it back into the water.

b. compost it on board, dump it ashore.

c. burn it aboard(Incinolet toilets, but use a lot of fuel)

d. put it in the same place that seals, birds, fish, whales, and tour ships put it.

e. Theres a chemical product that turns it in a blue-ultra vile jello mold that you can then bring ashore and pitch in the trash. Discourages dumpster divers.

It's a difficult issue, and one must make one's own choices based on good thinking and respect for the environment. I'll also say that if your lifestyle(seasteading) depends on a healthy environment you take the issue more seriously than most.

As for trash and that sort of thing, it's a real burden and one simply doesn't bring it aboard. You avoid it assiduously If one purchases groceries consistently with an eye towards avoiding packaging it can be a really eye-opener. Recycling isn't going to work as there's no place to do it--you simply need to receive near to no trash. It will shock you to find that 40 pounds of food can produce 5 lbs of just garbage. Ironically, some of the worst offenders are organic foods, which as high value items are often wrapped on foamback packages, or banded, etc, which is just more crap.

Wish you best of luck

As malolo siad if looking to purchase look down under the boats are cheap and well built.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures