Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concurrency for Puna
FoPF had a meeting in June with Bruce McClure, director of Public Works(PW), regarding the need for improvements on Post Office Road. The need was recognized and assurances were made that certain actions would take place. A request was made by Mr. McClure to FoPF to acquire letters of support from the community for these efforts.

This was done. We provided the letters of community support.

In checking with PW this week I find out that nothing PW said they would do has yet taken place and there are indications that there is in fact no intention to do anything. The items of performance from PW were things that involved little or no expense.... just a willingness to do what they say they would do.

We are very disappointed.

More to follow.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Public Works in this Administration deserves a lot of grief for their cavalier attitude toward the community -- this department being the poster child for disdain for grassroots initiatives. "Fill out a form. Take a number. We'll look into it. Sometime."

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
We are looking into supplying some grief for them....

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Note, I suggested previously who needs to be brought in to call the meeting: The Mayor.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Good suggestion. I will see if Mayor Kim has time to help us with this. I do feel we have exhausted the protocols for addressing this issue via Councilwoman Emily Naeole and Public Works Director McClure.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Hopefully, Hizzonner will not be too busy. After all, he is not running a re-election campaign. As Mayor he has not exactly been a ball of fire in the past when it came to looking after Puna's needs. Good luck.

Cheers,
Jerry
Friends of Puna’s Future
P.O. Box 1959, Pahoa, HI 96778 808-965-1555

Date: August 28, 2008

To: Mayor Harry Kim, County of Hawaii

Subject: Pahoa - Post Office Road

Aloha Mayor Kim,

For approximately two years FoPF and Mainstreet Pahoa Association have attempted to seek a solution to a hazardous road condition in Pahoa Village.

Post Office Road in Pahoa Village is a county road which is rendered hazardous and dangerous by the non-conforming placement of utility poles and resulting restriction in the right of way.

We have documented the situation for Public Works and have researched the Joint Pole Agreement and Franchise Agreement between the utility companies and the CoH.

We have tried to work with our councilwoman without result.

In June we met with Bruce McClure and Ron Thiel where the need for improvement was recognized and assurances of progress were undertaken. In follow up with P.W. I have been given the impression that the interests of the utility companies out weight the interests of the residents.

In frustration I seek the attention of your office in resolution of this rather mundane matter. We ask your help and guidance before we proceed with other remedies.

Please contact me as soon as possible on this subject.

Sincerely,

Rob Tucker, President
FoPF
965-1555

Punaweb moderator
I received this reply:

Dear Mr. Tucker,

Thank you for your letter. The Mayor will follow up with the Department of Public Works and get back to you.

Aloha,

Dixie Kaetsu
Managing Director
County of Hawaii

Punaweb moderator