Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
travel trailer
We will be building in the near future and we would like to live on our property during construction. Does anyone know how I can either rent or buy a travel trailer to park on the site? My hope is that by living on the property, it will help discourage and stealing of buildidng supplies and be easier then renting some where off site.

Thanks,
Glenn P

We will be building and also think it is necessary to camp out on the property to watch over building materials. we are going to purchase tents to bring and we are also looking at buying a small travel trailer here on the mainland to ship over. We may build an elevated deck structure to camp on which will become the base of the home we will build.

Hi Nancy, we were just looking at an 18 foot trailer this morning. It looked like it would work well for what we need. I will need to look into how much it would be to ship it over from Seattle. I know a car is about $900 but I wonder if I would need to put it in a container, if so it would be over $3000. Tents on a platform might not be a bad option either. I'm still searching for a trailer to buy on the island somewhere. I am a bit concerned if the trailer would ever get used again after the house if finnished. We love to camp but I haven't camped on the Big Island yet to know if trailers are ok there. I really like the idea of staying on the property while building, save on rent too. besides we have cats and not many rentals are open to pets.

I am going to contact Pasha today to check the cost of shipping and the limits of measurements and weight. I think it would be easy to sell or rent a trailer to others needing to do what a lot of us seem to be doing after we are done with it.

there was one for sale in the tribune herald just the other day, also there is an outfit locally that rents josite trailers, if i can find their number i'll let you know

I checked with Matson to find what they'd charge to ship a trailer from Seattle to Hilo and it was a whopping $5402. A car is just $900 and a container is $3200 so I was shocked to hear the sticker price for a 19 foot trailer. I will want to get one on the big island. I did see the one in the paper for $5000. I think I will call them to get more information.

Yes, it is very expensive to ship travel trailers. My husband and I were living in one in Illinois and decided not to ship it over because it would have been over $5K! So we instead bought a 40 foot container over there for $1,400 and shipped 2 cars, a motorcycle, and all of our "stuff". We now live in it (up in Mountain View) while we are deciding what to build. I'm glad we're not in tents with all the rain we've had lately. Consider a container! You could always sell it when you are done with it or keep it for storage.
Emily

We are considering the same idea and I remembered an article that the Trib had on the new transport company. I have sent an e-mail to see what they charge for transporting a travel trailer. I will let you know. Here is their website.. http://www.pashahawaii.com

they also book online..

Dee

It is common here to "create" a trailer from a container. People live in the containers all the time while building, then convert them into storage or workshops or whatever... There was an ad in the Hawaii Tribune-Herald classifieds for containers recently so you might want to keep an eye out. Personally, I am still a proponent of the giant greenhouse. You can buy one to asemble for about $2500 (24 x 48 feet) to give you plenty of dry room and it is just sooooo useful after your home is built.
Just some thoughts to help you make decisions... aloha! Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
PashaHawaii - 21' travel trailer (8'w x 10' high - 5000 lbs) approximately $5600.