Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we as progressive as Seattle Wa., or Denver...
I find it hard to believe that the Dutch would listen to the USA about such things.
I am looking for some reference to that on the net and have not found it yet.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Wikipedia is a lot more reliable than many other sources on the web.
It also more up-to-date, and covers many more topics than any other web site.

A journalist tried to prove how unreliable Wikipedia is by editing the content to add some factual errors. They were all changed back within minutes. Try it yourself!

There may have been some mild pressure (eg tariffs) from the US government but the Dutch have had more hassles from neighboring countries, especially France. Lately they're trying to put a stop to the expansion of "coffee shops" because of the disturbance of foreign drug tourists. It's always a problem if your drug laws are more lax than your neighbors'.

I heard (but have been unable to confirm) that the coffee shops are now in an interesting position with the passing of recent anti-smoking laws. As a patron you'd be in big trouble if you're caught smoking something with any tobacco in it in a coffee shop!
Jon,

Check marijuananews.com. and search under, "Single Convention on Narcotics".

<http://marijuananews.com/blog/canada/ottawa-citizen-columnist-dan-gardner-assails-canadian-justice-minister%E2%80%99s-kowtowing-to-un-and-dealand-narks-us-says-jump-we-say-how-high/>

"Ottawa Citizen Columnist Dan Gardner Assails Canadian Justice Minister’s Kowtowing to UN and DEAland Narks: “U.S. says jump, we say how high?”...

...Ms. McLellan’s response — yes sir, how high shall I jump? — may look innocent enough to a casual observer. An international body charged with overseeing laws that Canada signed said we’re not living up to our obligations, and the Canadian government responded by promising to do better. That looks co-operative and reasonable.

That image is shattered, however, when one realizes that the INCB is little more than the mouthpiece of the American government.

That the INCB is something of a toady to Washington D.C. — faithfully enforcing the severe American interpretations of international drug laws — is something international experts emphasized to me while I did research for a series of articles about drugs last year.

The INCB is little more than the mouthpiece of the American government.

One such expert was a former UN official who held very senior posts in drug policy for many years. American drug officials, this person insisted, were zealots who used the INCB — and many other pressure tactics — to ensure other countries toed the American line on the drug war. ..."

Whether Puna, Hawaii or wherever, this is how it works. But things change and now we have reason to hope for better.

Still, I wish Angel had won. He would have been a wonderful ally for positive change.

Now if Puna could just produce a really great pizza...!

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
rbakker,

Yes indeed.

Thumbs up for paka and thumbs down for tobacco.

Today Holland, tomorrow Puna and then the world! **hahahaha**

[Big Grin]
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
marijuananews.com yep, that sounds more reliable than wikipedia.....

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii