Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ala Moana /Ward Center Bankrupt?
Looks like it might come to that. I was there last week and the place was like a ghost town. Even the food courts had alot fewer people than usual. I actually walked through the new Nordstrom building without seeing one human face. I was there last Wednesday at Noon.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...20369/1001
Did you get near a walmart, the one in Hilo is hopping most of the time. Looks like conspicuous consumption is dead for awhile.
Gordon J Tilley
was at the waikele shopping center on o'ahu yesterday and there were tons of people--locals and tourists shopping. the restaurant that we ate in was jambed pack and had a line out the door.

kmart at the same complex, was so so. there were people, but not a whole lot.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

in keeping this forum on the big isle...prince kuhio plaza is in the same boat
The main problem (at least for now) seems to be the fact that the holding company that owns Ala Moana overextended itself by buying another, less successful holding company a few years back. They did this deal on too-easy credit (where have we heard this before?) and now can't make the payments. Their difficulties do not appear to be because their tenants are unable to pay their rents . . . so far. Most mall rents are based on a monthly lease payment plus a percentage of gross sales. If retailers have a long stretch of bad sales, the mall landlords will really be in trouble.

Cheers,
Jerry