Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Runner or DSL in HPP?
Which is better if you live in HPP? I am using DSL, and noticed that the service is getting slower and slower within the past 3 or 4 months.

I am lucky to have the option of switching to Road Runner, but do not know if it is better or worse.

I was wondering if any of you have Road Runner in HPP and if so, how do you like it?

My DSL slows to a crawl during the peak periods of 4pm to 12 midnight.
We live on 3rd in HPP and had the same problem of the DSL slowing down at peak usage hours. We called Hawaiiantel and they initially said DSL doesn't work like Dial-Up so increased traffic doesn't affect speed. Eventually the service would crash during these hours so they sent a Troubleman out to check and tested lines to our house and said no problems found but put us on a different local feed just to check. To diagnose the continuing problem they had to monitor us WHILE the problem was happening so we had to call during the problem times. Around the fourth try they switched our feed at the office and the problem went away. The frustration comes in when you call in to report the trouble and each time it seems you have to reinvent the wheel with each new operator. At some point they give you a complaint ID# and they look up what has and hasn't been tried. Good Luck.
We have had some of the same issues here on Railroad, and we get the same runaround from Hawaiian Telcom. Their customer service was abysmal before they went into bankruptcy, and I expect it hasn't gotten any better.

Cheers,
Jerry
I don't live in HPP but in Nanawale and I find Road Runner to be tops! And Time Warner beats HwnTel (which I have for my landline phone) for customer service by 10 miles!!!
Time Warner Oceanic down on Kaloli Point is very fast and reliable. My phone went out once, very briefly. Just had to reset the modem. Their customer service is excellent.
HawaiianTel absolutely sucks to deal with when the DSL slows down. I have a friend who has spent so many hours hassling with them, only because Roadrunner isn't an option.

I've been a Time Warner customer since 2004, at one place or another, and their customer service is excellent. My internet goes down so rarely I can't even remember, and only when there's a systemwide outage. (I don't live in HPP)
I had Road Runner for 7 years on Oahu, and very rarely it had problems. I only recently had the opportunity to go with Road Runner, as Oceanic just strung lines down our road (18th off Makuu).

I saw on their website that I can get a discount on Road Runner if I have cable tv thru them (which I do).

Stan