Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shar-pei pigs
This only relates to Hawaii because pigs are such a big part of our local culture, but these things are so ugly they are cute!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashe...o-the.html

Just something to lighten up people during this dark and gloomy weather. Are we ever going to see the sun again? I think the poster who asked about the rainy season cursed us!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
That's what happens when people don't control their deleted shar-peis![Smile]
A couple of those babies might be just the ticket for keeping break and enters down.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
The babies are cute, but that mama looks like her daddy was a water buffalo.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Although the chinese swear by Meishan hogs, I really like the Magalitsa pigs for flavor especially when finished on acorns or hazel nuts. Think of a Manglitsa finished on kukui or coconuts meat, I just got goosebumps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalitsa
http://woolypigs.com/_introduction.html
I have a friend on the mainland who has a pig roast every August (pit style, he's from Alabama). One year he fed the pig okara which is a soy byproduct, that pig tasted like smoked tofu! Another year someone else raised the pig and fed him Salmon scraps, that one tasted fishy. Now he finishes them with a fermented mash, doesn't change the flavor, but they sure are mellow happy pigs those last few weeks. He figures they deserve to party since they give everyone else a reason to party for 3 days: one to cook the pig, one to eat the pig and one to clean up from the party. Damn near the only thing I regret about leaving Oregon is missing Pig Day! That and I miss no sales tax, especially on food.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
"... I think the poster who asked about the rainy season cursed us! ..."

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! I didn't realize I had that much power!

Now if I can just stop the snow on Damon's blog........
Puna: Our roosters crow first
There is a ranch in Puna, that will remain un-named, that feeds papaya, and mango fresh and fermented! Yes so the BBQ serves pork premarinated in fruit sauce! So Gourmet, and recyclingtoo!~ Yum, sounds so good I hope to one day take a bite!

Those cute pigs with the wrinkles can we import them to Hawaii?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
There are already too many people finding "cute" baby feral piglets and then having troubles when "cute" gets to several hundred pounds of tusked boar. Pigs will dig, it's what they do, even "tame" pigs dig so the choice is generally yard or pig but not both. Unless you have a lot of room, then you can have both. If we had cute baby wrinkly pigs that grew up to look like mama pig there would be a lot of difficulties for folks trying to find a "good home" for their not so cute anymore wrinkly pig. I'll take in their pigs, but they'd really don't want to know what I'm going to do with their "cute" pig unless they like sausage.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson