Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th of July-Holidays in Hawaii?
Just wanted to wish everyone a great July 4th weekend. Enjoy and be safe.

I was wondering what the Holidays are like on the island. All of them from July 4th to Thanksgiving, Easter.... What kinds of celebrations go on for special days in particular the Holiday Season? I am starting to wonder what Christmas will be on an island with no blizzard and below zero cold!(better for sure!)But, are there any special or unique events or traditions? Is the shopping frenzy the same? What do people do for Christmas trees? I was assuming fake trees since it is an island.

Lenny
Lenny
Lenny, if you get sad about no snow for Christmas like I know my wife will, You can call "Old Man Wintah" that would be me. You see I plan on bringing my snow blower from Maine and Christmas Eve I plan on making a trip up the mountain for load of snow that I will blow into the truck. I will then race down the mountain to those homes that have requested a White Christmas and blow snow by there windows while singing notable Christmas Carols for effect. I hope it catches on and we can move up to a tractor/trailer load so more folks can enjoy the simple pleasures in life like snow for Christmas....Wink Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Have a Happy 4th of July

Aloha HADave & PeggyAnn

Celebrating 28 Incredible Years of Marriage Smile)

Edited by - HADave on 06/30/2006 05:02:30
Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Lenny there will be trees. Real trees! Walmart, KTA, and other stores bring them in from the northwest by the trailer full. I came out of KTA one morning at the end of November last year and smelled fir trees! a smell I didn't think I would smell again after leaving Oregon. but there they were, 100's of trees! The trailers are refrigerated so they stay fresh.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Aloha HADave,

That sounds great! How did you come up with that awesome idea? I think Christmas Eve is the only day EVER that I wish for snow. Too bad the wish for it to be gone the next day and for it to be 80 with all the trees turning into palms never happens! I would be more than happy to get on your "nice list" for that day. Hopefully I will be there and settled into a new home!

CONGRADULATIONS ON 28 BEAUTIFUL YEARS OF MARRIAGE. I WISH YOU AND YOUR WIFE MANY MORE BLISSFUL YEARS! STAY WELL!

Lenny
Lenny
Aloha Royall,

I am really big on saving and taking care of the environment, but since for every tree picked another is planted there is nothing like a REAL tree in your house for Christmas. The smell is unbelievable! The smell of Christmas is in the air with the trees. One of the little things I think I would kinda miss as well as the fall colors right before Christmas! I had pictured a decorated palm for that day. :-)

Lenny
Lenny
Lenny,

This last winter there was snow on Mauna Kea. I don't recall if it was there on Christmas day. If you do get a hankering for the cold stuff you could always make the trek up the mountain. Of course, HADave's plan sounds good too.

As for other holidays: Volcano Village has a parade through town on July 4th. This is the first year I will be here for it, but I've seem pictures and it looks like something that most of the community comes out for.

You will also get holidays that you don't get on the mainland. Just a few weeks ago it was King Kamehameha day (June 11).

Robin

More than likely those wondeful smelling western grown Christmas Trees are Douglas Fir Trees.

Here is a little uncanny trivia surrounding the Douglad fir Tree. David Douglas notable Scottish botanist, that this tree was named after, spent many years traveling the globe to end up on The Big Island of Hawaii. there he was warned about wild bull pits the natives dug to catch/kill because they were such a lethal nuisance. well it seems that Mr Douglas wandered off a path he was told not to wander off and fell into one of these pits from there the story is unclear as to whether there was already a bullock down there that trampled him to death or one fell in shortly after he did and trampled/gorged him to death at any rate he died on the island in 1834 a horiffic death by Wild Bull...no relation to Wild Bill Smile) I also believe there is a memorial gravesite at the Kawaiahao Church Cemetary and a plaque somewhere on Mauna Kea to mark his place of death.

There is some really cool history on this Island I think..

Aloha HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

http://www.coffeetimes.com/daviddouglas.htm

quote:
More than likely those wondeful smelling western grown Christmas Trees are Douglas Fir Trees.

Here is a little uncanny trivia surrounding the Douglad fir Tree. David Douglas notable Scottish botanist, that this tree was named after, spent many years traveling the globe to end up on The Big Island of Hawaii. there he was warned about wild bull pits the natives dug to catch/kill because they were such a lethal nuisance. well it seems that Mr Douglas wandered off a path he was told not to wander off and fell into one of these pits from there the story is unclear as to whether there was already a bullock down there that trampled him to death or one fell in shortly after he did and trampled/gorged him to death at any rate he died on the island in 1834 a horiffic death by Wild Bull...no relation to Wild Bill Smile) I also believe there is a memorial gravesite at the Kawaiahao Church Cemetary and a plaque somewhere on Mauna Kea to mark his place of death.

There is some really cool history on this Island I think..

Aloha HADave

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Whoa! Hey Andrew, you know what? I should have read past the ending of my account and seen your amended story. So Ned Gurney took an axe to David Douglas and left him for dead in a bull pit. The first account reported by physicians called the Wild bull the culprit even though some suspected foul play but those coming forward later sure create reasonable doubt eh? Wonder what happened to ole Ned hmmmm Like I said though very interesting stuff...

Thanks for the update, HADave

The story I read...http://www.abcbookworld.com/?state=view_author&author_id=6313

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

Lenny, 4th of July has parades some places (Volcano town is where UHH kids are going); fireworks on most blocks, but also public displays including Coconut Island, Hilo; there is also "Turtle Independence Day" in Waikoloa, with the release of captive raised 3-4 year old turtles early morning on the forth, and much celebrating after. Halloween is trick or treat & all, Christmas also includes "Light Parades" in Waimea & Keaau, and the cut trees line the entry of many stores! (Dave, although your idea is grand, snow is usually a tad bit later & I'm not sure the rangers would OK the blower, but people do fill up their pick-ups with snow & build snowmen in Hilo when it falls. Easter has egg hunts, and the then the Merrie Monarch in Hilo (parades, free presentations & the competition). On Memorial day, lei are left for servicemen & loved ones.
Happy Holidays!
Carey