Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unpermitted house?
Do I dare? any thoughts?

Beth Tate

there are hundreds if not thousands of unpermitted dwelling in puna, the county doesn't give a rip. however helco now requires a permit for temp service and will only allow it for A SHORT PERIOD, I'VE HEARD.

Then again, if off grid, one doesn't deal with Helco Smile

Ninole Resident
This may be in the archives, but thought I'd share what I learned from permit office. All one has to do is bring property up to current 2005 code in all depts. and then pay a fine of $22 per 100sqft for main use and lower fee for "access area footage" ie. garage, lanais.

But the main problem appears to me is finding licensed electricians or plumbers avail.

FYI I also am seeing a pattern of some "home contractors" buidling a house and then selling it before it is "finalled" . the New owner becomes the home contractor, finishes the process and then they can't sell or rent themselves for one year. Don't know if this is getting "policed" as there seems to be a contractor shortage.

bt

What I think you are tlking about is that if you go owner builder,you cannot sell the house for one year.Yiou are allowed to build one house per year as owner.builder. If you have a contractor do it, you can build as many s you want.

frank battaglia