Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fine art mildew and mold
We brought 4 giclee prints (framed) with us 10 months ago. We live in HSRE. Just very recently (week or so) I am smelling a mildew like odor eminating from the canvas. [Sad] I do not see anything "growing". I called the gallery where we purchased the pieces in the King's Shops over in Waikoloa. Neither they nor their framer had any suggestions for control, prevention, eradication. I intend to contact local framers and will attempt to contact the artist who resides in Honolulu.
Anyone with similar experience or tried and true suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe seal the back with sheet plastic and toss in a couple of formeldahide tabs like the cosmetologist use or used. Providing you can still get them. Just brainstorming here.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Put them in either an air conditioned room or one with a dehumidifyer. There are capsules available to keep things like spices and vitamins dry, but they would need to be replaced frequently and so sealing them off might be difficult, besides since you cannot see the mold or mildew growing, you don't know if it is growing on the painting side or the back side.

One thing I have been doing to my books is spraying weekly with Lysol, just a light spray. Another thing we do is wipe down leather furniture and keep it a place where it gets lots of air circulation.

quote:
Originally posted by Lokahi

We brought 4 giclee prints (framed) with us 10 months ago. We live in HSRE. Just very recently (week or so) I am smelling a mildew like odor eminating from the canvas. [Sad] I do not see anything "growing". I called the gallery where we purchased the pieces in the King's Shops over in Waikoloa. Neither they nor their framer had any suggestions for control, prevention, eradication. I intend to contact local framers and will attempt to contact the artist who resides in Honolulu.
Anyone with similar experience or tried and true suggestions? Thanks.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
contact Pam Lamont, find out where she got here prints framed at, I know she paid 500 dollars a piece to have them framed and sealed.

I am having the same problems with fine art here....

close your windows by 5pm. and put a small piece of cardboard under the bottom corners of your framed art. this will allow air flow to keep the mold off it also allows light big mold killer.

their has been suggestions of leaving a 20 watt light bulb on in each room to zap humidity. but your running power all the time.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Contact Jim at Funkstoppers.com. The ozone treatment that he provides may help remove the smell and also eliminate the expose mildew. You can reach him via this forum to.

We used his services to remove cigarette smoke odors from one of our rentals.

Noel

Noel
http://HiloParadise.com
We have never had problems with the art itself but rather the matting. One piece in particular the mat has gotten very bad.

Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Funkstopper Here.
I live in hawaiian shores and could probably fix your problem fairly easily.
When we moved here our boxes stood for 8 months in a carport. Needless to say our things smell moldy. We hung up our clothes in a room and doused them with ozone for 48 hours and they smelled fine when completed. Should work for the pictures. Call me and I can give you a better Ideas if it will work
Jim Warner
756-6000
http://www.funkstoppers.com

The funk stops here!
In old New Orleans, art was suspended in air AWAY from the walls. New Orleans is every bit as humid as Puna. The difference is air conditioning. Anyway, in New Orleans houses sometimes have what I think is called a picture rail. If the rail is low, you set the pictures on it. If the rail is up high, the pictures are suspended in air from a wire, very close to the wall, but with enough space to allow for air circulation.