Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Theft Ring at hot ponds
Hi tigermom,
I'm so sorry about all you lost and especially that which can't be replaced. With that much value, it would be worth filing a homeowner's claim.

Now not to sound unsympathetic, but there has been a sign at Ahalanui telling people about the theft problem for years ... and I would NEVER go there with anything of value in my car, never ever. I just don't understand why anyone would.

When I lived in California I got windows smashed and stereo stolen twice, friends had cars stolen and off to chop shops, had my neighbor's car stolen out of the driveway at 3 am, NEVER considered car safe unless locked in a garage. At least here my stereo hasn't been targeted. Did I get anything back in California, or any assurance anyone would try? Absolutely not, forget it, with your car you're on your own.

I have gotten hit here, in Hilo. It's not just Puna. That was three years ago. That theft crippled me for a month because both sets of my prescription glasses were in the car and taken. They were no good to anybody but me, but they were worth $500 to me, as one pair were prescription Revo's. Oh, I got hit in my own driveway, talk about feeling violated. My bad, I had gotten complacent and wasn't alarming my car because my driveway was quite a ways in off the street.

The police take a report so you can file insurance. End of story. Violent crime is always lower priority than property crime. Property crime involving break-ins to dwellings and structures trumps auto vandalism.

My DIL lost her wallet, her laptop with all her baby pictures of her son in digital form, irreplaceable, and her camera, while at a party at Pohoiki. Totally her fault for being a space cadet, but the police certainly were not going to be checking pawnshops. That was up to her.

Hawai'i is a great place but when it comes to thieving lowlifes it isn't paradise. It's much worse than any other rural place I've lived, more like living on the edge of the inner city. When you live near poverty and you are affluent in comparison, you are at risk, and expecting the police to change Puna into Belair or Beverly Hills with lots of enforcement is not likely to happen.

Be vigilant, always, no "we just want to relax." Scum never sleeps when given a golden opportunity ...

Again, I'm totally empathetic, but you are one of many many many victims who has just joined an old club and I think it's unrealistic to think that now it's happened to you there will be a movement to put an end to it. There's too little funding, no money in the budget, and let's face it, the police deal with this all the time and they don't raise false hope because they know the drill.
quote:
I even found one of my cameras on Craigslist and when I asked the cop to follow up on the lead he said that would be entrapment....HELLO!!!!! Aren't they TRYING to CATCH these thieves??
The cop was just plain lazy or he was an idiot. You should have asked for his supervisor.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Hey Rob and all, we offered up that tracking system idea to the cops, the councilwoman and the mayor's office. The cops weren't too responsive to the idea but the others liked it. I don't think it is starving people doing this as their was our rental car and a local's car (a Honda) from Nanawale who also got their car stolen at the same time. We were all stranded there and there was a kind local couple in a toyota 4runner who offered to take us back to our homes. I think his name was either Jason or Jake. He said he just got back from the mainland and has noticed for the past 4 months things have gotten real bad. Of course our cell phones were in the car so it is not a good feeling to be left out like that with no way to call anyone or anything. Anyway, these guys really have a system down. I think I looked right at one of them...he was at the top of the stairs and when I looked him in the eye he looked down. He was a white, 20ish, with wavey blond hair kind of pulled back. Can't say for sure that that was him but he wasn't there once all the commotion started.

Personally, I think that once these people are caught that they should be shipped home to wherever that may be and have their name put on a list not allowing them back to the islands. As for the "liberal" remark...I think that kind of talk is uncalled for and is just inflammatory to the subject.

By the way, the Mayor's office told me that police reports are not public record so he can't find out by going to the police who the other was from Nanawale, so if this ever happens to any of you make sure you exchange info with whoever else it happens to.
Hi Kathy,
No, I'm not doing this because NOW it has happened to me, the problem needs to be addressed, period. Nor do I think that it should be Beverly Hills or whatever, but if they REALLY wanted to do something about this then they could. It just needs to be a priority for the cops. All I am trying to do here is to put some pressure on the the people who can change this and asking those of you who want to join in to do so...I'm not asking anyone to change their culture to make it like the mainland, I'm asking to take care of this problem before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. My husband was 2 seconds from getting ahold of this guy and if that would have happened I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty.

Like I said before, what is happening has a far reaching ripple effect to everyone in the community and maybe if these people were caught and put away then you might be safer, sounds like you've had to deal with a lot also. This isn't about me and yes, people will take a stand and say "enough" one of these days, but when will that day come? I'm not waiting for others to do it, I am taking action NOW...I have accomplished what I wanted and that is to get people to discuss it...I'm not one to just say "oh well" and go on with my life, I am taking every action I can think of to make this situation better for everyone involved so this doesn't happen to others.
I agree with you and would love to see it, but I know the inertia of this place and as Bob Orts pointed out, with a set budget you do not ADD top priorities you take away from something else, perhaps kids who are being abused, and crime against persons always comes first.

I hope you know it does not count as a "danger" to say the victim almost got into a fight or struggle with the thief while pursuing the thief. Public dangers to persons are from criminals who violently attack other people. This is property crime.

YES I want to see it end.
I also want to see speeding enforced, DUI's not tolerated, domestic abuse not tolerated, and much much more.

Good for you for working on this problem.

I just spoke to a County guy today who promised me absolutely he would get a job budgeted that directly involves the safety of myself and my family, and after waiting the 18 MONTHS he told me it would take, but it would happen - I heard today that it won't happen as as for WHY not, "maybe I forgot." No apology, no alternative, go away, don't come back.

So, good luck!